Computer controlled crossover?

Hey guys, I've been wanting to ask someone about this idea for a while now. You know how you can get programs like SRS Wow that's built into windows media player? There are also other assorted Equalizer programs (with sliders) or for effect, to change how your music is playing. If these programs can do this merely with cpu power, is there a way I could have a source from the mic/input plug on a soundcard in one of my spare towers, and say, re-route it to the speaker/output on the card, but say, have a subsonic filter in place between the input and the output of the card, using only software? I'm pretty Effin sure this has to be possible, and yes I can take into consideration that there could be some considerable cpu usage for realtime playback. My goal would be to say set in place a 20 or 30hz cutoff point and then run that to my subwoofer amp, or use two seperate towers, and run my other subwoofers I have sitting around, but they need a higher cutoff point as they are only 8-10inch woofers. Could anyone lend a hand?? I know this has to be possible somehow.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 19Next »
Padlock8 years ago
With this type of design your talking about, the treble and the bass would be offset, because of the time it takes to process the bass audio in the computer. Although it wouldn't be much, it would be just enough to mess things up. So, I suggest using two computers (or two audio cards), one to remove the treble from the bass, and then another to remove the bass from the treble. That is, if you can find (or write) the software.
Punkguyta (author)  Padlock8 years ago
I was actually searching around the other day for some software and found a program that could add effects (distortion, equalization and whatnot) in real time, and that the software supported more than one sound card, but it was a multi-track recorder and would not have done what I wanted it to. I do know it's possible to install two pci soundcards in one computer, but last time I tried it, neither of them would work. And that was just to see if I would get two audio outputs. I know theres a way to do what I want here, but I just need to find someone that knows what I'm talking about.
Punkguyta (author)  Punkguyta8 years ago
And besides, that doesn't help me because my main computer is for the main output of the sound, which I just leave fairly unmodified except I have adjusted the bass and treble sliders in the windows control panel.
lemonie8 years ago
Can you add a diagram explanation with audio-channels and jacks (so that I can get my head around this?) I'm sort of there but not quite... L
Punkguyta (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Here is a brief diagram I just whipped up, I hope it clears things up immensely.
That's a great diagram!
Without buying a specific device, you could wire the tower-out to a PC line-in, use software on that and connect the line-out to the secondary sub-amp. Half-decent audio-functions usually come with free audio-level software and there must be more free stuff?

Punkguyta (author)  lemonie8 years ago
That's exactly what I thought, I just don't know what exactly to call that kind of software to even begin searching for it.
I've got an equaliser with my mainboard, it's already there. What's sitting in your system tray? L
Punkguyta (author)  lemonie8 years ago
Yes but most software equalization software I have seen is for things playing out of a media player, if you were to hook something up to the line in, it would come out of the speakers untouched.
Usually, but the one for my mainboard affects everything going to line-out. L
1-10 of 19Next »