DrSimons - Giant Fresnel Lens Deathray: An Experiment in Optics - Universal Laser Cutter Finalist!
DrSimons was a finalist in the 2008 Instructables and Universal Laser Cutter Contest for:
I'm really amazed my instructable has made it to the finalists, as It's only my second one! Not only that, I'm getting a lot of votes (but keep them coming please!!!)
If I win the laser cutter, things are really gonna get good around here...I already have dozens of excellent projects that would suddenly become possible, and am only just getting into the DIY scene. That means there are 100s, perhaps 1000s of projects in my future, and with such an excellent way to prototype large designs, make small parts, customize/art-ize everything imaginable, I really can't tell you how many fun, creative projects I'll come up with. I am a huge lover of desktop fabrication, love working with high quality tools, going to be learning how to weld as soon as possible. So please vote for me!!!
My vision for the laser cutter:
- Amazing paper/origami projects like the pop-up pyramid - I am totally into advanced origami like insects and sheets of fish scales
- 3D cardstock topographic maps
- Custom parts for innumerable future projects
- Custom engraved office supplies, artwork, furniture, cutting boards, cell phones, jewelry, pens, etc....
- Custom puzzles, chess boards, clocks, car upholstery, artistic lamps, textiles, etc....
- Laser-cut methods for PCBs (possibly?)
- High-precision models, mock-ups of designs
- Mathematical shapes (such as parabolas), super-detailed, multi-layered stencils
- And much...much more