Having your Instructable "featured" means you are an excellent author, and you're providing some of the best content on the site. We want everyone to see what you've made!
When we feature your Instructable, it's our way of saying "You are awesome, and we love you!"
So what does it take to get your Instructable featured? Read on, my friend, you have come to the right place!
There are currently two tiers of featuring we use to promote great content and reward our awesome authors:
- Feature: Your Instructable will appear in the Featured Feed, and you'll receive a free pro membership which can be applied to your own account or given as a gift to another member!
- Homepage Feature: Your Instructable will appear in the Featured Feed, as well as on the homepage, and you'll receive a free pro membership which can be applied to your own account or given as a gift to another member.
For an Instructable to be featured, the main criteria we look for are excellent documentation and reproducibility. These break down into the following points:
- The title fits and explains the project.
- The introduction should state what the project is, and the reason or motivation behind it.
- All photos should be original, bright, clear, and in-focus.
- Projects should be broken into enough steps to be easy to follow, with sufficient photos and explanatory text to allow the reader to understand the process.
- Grammar and spelling should be good enough so as to not be distracting.
- Projects should be complete and contain all the information needed so others could reasonably duplicate the project (if the reader were to have the necessary skills and access to similar tools and materials.)
- Lists should be included of parts/materials/ingredients/tools used, with links to sources as needed, as well as links to references.
- Whenever possible, the inclusion of downloadable files, PDF patterns, and so forth is desirable.
- Video content (youtube videos, etc.) may be featured as well. Videos should have great production quality, clear instructions, and reproducible outcomes, and, ideally, be accompanied by photos and written step-by-step instructions.
For a Homepage Feature, here are some additional things we look for:
- Overall stellar documentation and beautiful cover images. The content is highly reproducible and has that “wow, awesome!” factor.
- Video content needs to be accompanied by photos and written step-by-step instructions that meet the criteria as noted above. Aside from increasing the likelihood of getting a homepage feature, this format will also significantly increase video content's chances at placing well in contests! ;)
Please note that high levels of ingenuity, creativity, innovation, and/or utility in a project will often compensate for weaknesses in documentation, so these criteria should be viewed as guidelines and not necessarily hard fast rules!
What about business-related content from bloggers, etsy-ers, youtubers, kickstarters, and so forth?
Can that type of content be featured? Absolutely! Any Instructable that meets the criteria as outlined above and contains real how-to instructional content can be featured. If you are in this camp, it's an excellent practice to keep your ulterior motives relatively subtle. For example, some of our best authors are also bloggers and etsy-ers, and many of these authors simply include a single link to their site or store in the last step of their Instructables. This is a perfect approach that allows their projects to get as much attention as possible on the site, but also plug their commercial interests in a way that is not overbearing or spammy. Being overbearing or spammy is the quickest way to NOT being featured!
Sometimes it's hard to see where your project could use some enhancements! Luckily, we have some great authors that will review your project and give you feedback at the volunteer-run Clinic.
Do you get featured a lot? Why not spend a little time in the Clinic and help others get to your level! :)