Flat Wall Plug Adapter? (for DIY extension Cords)

There is an extension cord (3 wire) which has a flat wall connector - great for tight spaces.  I've bought some over the years (about $12 each at Amazon) - but want a supply of the plugs so I can make my own custom/length cords.  I looked at a few electric parts places but no luck.  Any ideas/sources for a less expensive flat plug adapter?

One option  is to replacc the wall outlet with a recessed outlet - but that does not work for me.


Goodhart3 years ago
Yes, a lot of those plugs, sadly, are molded plugs, so without splicing them in, they wouldn't be of much use....but I could be wrong (I have been a few times before ;-)
NachoMahma3 years ago
. You can find right-angle components/replacement parts at a lot of places, as per kelseymh's comment, but they tend not to be very low profile. For the lowest profile, I'd get an extension cord with a molded plug and, if need be, splice what I need onto the other end. Ie, what you're already doing is probably the best solution.
kelseymh3 years ago
Try one of the big-box home improvement stores (Home Depot, OSH, Lowes) in their electrical components section. Ask for "right angle replacement plug." I also found very quickly online an 18" version, which you could you to attach to whatever other cord you needed.

Get More Out of Instructables

Already have an Account?


PDF Downloads
As a Pro member, you will gain access to download any Instructable in the PDF format. You also have the ability to customize your PDF download.

Upgrade to Pro today!