Hard to reach space in a wall kitchen cabinet. Any idea ?

Hello everybody

Here's my question :

In my kitchen, I have a wall cabinet, in which, there is a place (orange arrow on the picture) where things that I could put there would be hard to reach.
This cabinet is located in a kitchen corner and is beside another cabinet as shown in the pictures.
Then, I dont'use that space and I'd like to...
I was wondering if someone has or had the same problem and if so, how it could be fixed.
Any idea will be welcome.

(I didn't find anything like that by using the search engine of instructibles web pages. Maybe I was not clever enough in English Language...)

I hope there will be helpful replies...

English is not my native language, so, please, (if possible), try to use simple words in your replies...

Picture of Hard to reach space in a wall kitchen cabinet. Any idea ?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
Kiteman3 years ago
You could try making something like this:


We had a couple of cabinets with the same problem and went with a lazy Susan (like Kiteman suggested above).

I've also seen one solution for cans where you had 2 sets of shelves, one attached to each side of the opening with a hinge. The main spice rack was directly in front of you, and the other rested swung back in the dead space in the corner. To get to the left rack, you swung out the right rack and then swung the left rack to face you. They did have to reinforce the cabinet opening sides though! (Lousy description and I don't have pictures. Let me know if it doesn't make sense and I'll post a drawing somewhere)

Your illustrations above we're great btw!
iwonder54 (author)  oldmicah3 years ago
Thanks oldmicah,
I think I understand what you mean, but if you have some time, a picture would be greatly appreciated !
You are having trouble b/c I'm not sure what I described is possible in our 3d universe. (Sorry describing from a half memory and failing). I chatted with him and he hates lazy Susan's and came up with this. (Admittedly less efficient alternative) it does have the advantage of getting the stuff out where you can see it.

Best of luck, and let us know what you come up with!
canucksgirl3 years ago
A rotating shelf, also called a "lazy susan" is often used in corners like this. They are easy enough to make if you can't find the size you need. It consists of a center pole, a rotating base and usually a second rotating shelf. It allows you to fill up the space with items and simply by rotating the shelves, you can get access to all of them.
kelseymh3 years ago
It'll be harder to deal with the overhead cabinet, but not impossible. I had a similar pair of cabinets in my kitchen many years ago. Besides the other suggestions you've been given, I found a solution with a sliding frame on a pair of perpendicular tracks. One frame is in the doorway of the cabinet; when you open the door you can pull that frame out of the cabinet. Then you slide that frame to one side (the door must have its hinges at the corner!) and the second frame, which was stuck in the blind corner, slides into the doorway area, where you can reach it.
iwonder54 (author)  kelseymh3 years ago
Thanks kelseymh
Would you have some names (many synonyms will be wellcome) or pictures of this system so I can better imagine what I have to buy.
But as you said, it's an overhead cabinet so things could be still hard to get...
I used to have an animated GIF of my own design, but I can't find it on either of my systems :-(

I just did a Google search for "blind corner cabinet", and found both the image of the system I'm describing (from Knape and Vogt), but also a few Web pages which you might find useful for ideas:

iwonder54 (author) 3 years ago
A global Thanks to people for which I didn't reply individually.

Could anybody explain what does "Feature comment" mean ? I'm not sure I have to check the boxes in my replies...
If you ESPECIALLY like a comment, one maybe that explains things well, and gives you a good solution, you can "feature" that comment.
FoolishSage3 years ago
Maybe it is possible to open out the bottom of that area and have some kind of storage you can pull down.. Something like this but upside-down?
iwonder54 (author)  FoolishSage3 years ago
Thanks FoolishSage
This is a very neat solution for bottom cabinets.
Furthermore, this seams to bring a very small space... and I think this must be very expensive...
Do you (or anybody else) have an idea of what kind of system this involve ?
I can't figure it out.
Jayefuu3 years ago
If you stored your jarred products in deep trays it would be easy to slide groups of them around to use that space more. Moving them one by one would be tedious, but if you could lift out a third of the jars at once and then slide the other two thirds towards you it might be a simple solution for the bottom shelf.

A bit like this:
iwonder54 (author)  Jayefuu3 years ago
Thanks Jayefuu but (if I do understand what you mean), your idea needs to have nothing stored in front of the trays.
However, I thank you
Moem3 years ago
I'd use that space for something you use very rarely, like once a year. Or for something you keep in stock for emergencies.
Wilmette Moem3 years ago
You are correct. The least accessed objects in the least accessible places
Kiteman Moem3 years ago
Or stocks of dry goods that don't go off - like unopened bags of rice or pasta.