Help me make my apartment self-sufficient and green
I'm interested in making my apartment greener and more self sufficient than it already is. I want to do this for many reasons, but mostly to see how far I can take this. I'm sure a lot of this will depend on what I can put up with, but i'm looking for some ideas of things to implement. I'll follow Instructables if they exist about it and if they don't, I'll create some to document this.
There are some restrictions: I am a renter and I don't own the place. I can make some changes, but I can't cut the walls out or replace appliances. I also can't put anything on the roof or outside of my apartment. I'm also very serious about conserving floorspace in my apartment and not accumulation a lot of junk. I need a bit of space to do my projects and have some sanity in this place (I live in NYC). This means no giant compost piles or what not in my living room.
Here's my thoughts on things that I will need to work on:
- Measuring my consumption of things
- Reduce energy use
- Reduce energy waste
- Produce some of my own power (Solar? I have a big window)
- Alternate lighting and heating methods?
- Making my own food to reduce the amount of waste packaging
- Using local ingredients
- joining a CSA (just did that this week actually!)
- Growing some of my own food
- Reducing garbage and waste water
- Reusing things that I can