Help with antique three way switch

I have a 60's era Stiffel table lamp that has a bad rotary switch. It's a three-way switch with an unusual design. I cannot find a replacement.

Is it possible to salvage this switch in some way? Any help is appreciated.


Picture of Help with antique three way switch
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 15Next »
Phil B9 months ago

One reviewer at Amazon used this switch to replace a switch on his 3-way Stiffel lamp.


Phil B Phil B9 months ago

Some of these switches have knobs on a thin shaft with threads on the end. It may be some of the switches available have knobs that are removable and you can screw on your original brass end. Amazon allows shoppers to post questions in either a Q & A section on each product or as a comment to a specific reviewer. You could ask if the factory end can be removed and replaced with what you have.

ttemple2 (author)  Phil B9 months ago

No luck on Amazon. I even contacted Stiffel directly and they didn't have an answer. I then contacted a few antique lamp supply houses and they couldn't help. I cannot believe that I'm the only person on the planet that has had to replace this part. Crazy!

ttemple2 (author)  Phil B9 months ago

Thanks Phil. I've posted a question. We'll see what happens.

Toga_Dan9 months ago

make every effort to replace it. If not, drill out those rivets, clean the contacts and use dielectric grease, reassemble, and repair the bakelite with epoxy. At that point, it will be a crap shoot whether it works.

ttemple2 (author)  Toga_Dan9 months ago

Well, my reassemble put the crap in "crap shoot." Ha!

Toga_Dan ttemple29 months ago

I gotta remember that phrase! Nice!

No Go?

ttemple2 (author)  Toga_Dan9 months ago

Nope. Vintage and modern didn't agree with each other. However, I will not be defeated! I'll rig this mother somehow!

Phil B9 months ago

I am guessing the wires connected to the parts of the Bakelite that are broken away. You said it is a three-way switch. is that for a three way bulb?

ttemple2 (author)  Phil B9 months ago

Right. I three-way bulb. @Downunder35m and Toga_Dan, it's a good bet that I'll need to "Frankenstein" this thing. The real issue is the 1/8" dia brass nipple at the top of the switch. There is a brass knob that attaches to this on the outside of the lamp. Modern switches appear to use plastic now. The brass knob won't work well, or for long, installed that way. I really appreciate the helpful responses. Instructables is a great community!

1-10 of 15Next »