How to build a jammer

Hi All,

I'm a new member living in the UK and don't know anything about eletronics.I am looking for some help on how to block my neighbours radio signal-He is a radio ham  and everytime he is transmitting i get the whole conversation through my  radio, hifi and stand alone TV's and anything that has a speaker attached to it-sometimes get lines through my TV.

Hope you can help

Best regards

Tony Mac

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 70Next »
It is not clear if he is a Ham Radio operator or a CB radio operator. The latter is often less technically proficient and therefore often less likely to help with the problem. If the transmissions are ALL understandable, then they are probably AM (not SSB - 'single side band' and not CW - 'code') and this might be an indication of type of radio enthusiast next door. Also, if the neighbour says ‘break break’ a lot, then he is probably a CB Radio operator.
What is the person’s call sign? IN GB, if his call starts with:
G (and a number)
GM (and a number)
M (and a number)
MW (and a number)
MI (and a number)
…and other similar prefixes, then he is probably a radio amateur (Ham).
It is not clear who is at fault. Granted the writer above is being interfered with, but it MAY be that the problems are with the writer’s equipment. Manufacturers of equipment have to compete in a global market and cost is the driving force and installing even the simplest RF filters cost money.
My stereo picks up CB radio from passing trucks. I am suspicious that the CB’ers passing by my home are using linear amplifiers (running too much power and using not approved equipment). If this is the case with your neighbour, then my understanding of the law (in most countries) would mean the neighbour is at fault. But even then, I could install filters (chokes and line filters) and I am confident that is it possible to make my stereo RF interference proof with a little bit of work. (This kind of work may need to be done by a professional.)
There are many good publications on this topic of RF interference. Check with the ARRL or the Radio Society of Great Britain (I have not done a search of these sites recently for this topic.)
Another source of information is: This web page is produced by the government agency in Canada who is responsible for the radio spectrum.
Contacting a local Ham Radio club is a good idea. The hams in Great Britain are well organized and most large clubs have an interference committee/group which can help, and may help even if the neighbour is not a ham radio operator. Remember, these committee members are all volunteers.
In general, just because a person is receiving interference does not mean the neighbour is at fault. Investigations by competent persons are required.
Hi to Ross, VE1BHE, who I do not believe I have ever ‘worked’ – not yet anyway.
Paul, VE1AVD.

Toga_Dan5 years ago
If I'm not mistaken, a jammer would merely put MORE noise on the air.

Have you talked with the guy about adjusting his equipment to stop interfering with yours?
Tony mac (author)  Toga_Dan5 years ago
Yeah your right, so i have not ventured down that route,the relationship between us is strained at times but what miffs me is the attitude of the guy,he does not work,he claims benefits and talks like he owns the land!
I can see that it would be difficult to bring up the subject.

Maybe he doesn't know his conversation is on your equipment. A slightly underhanded approach would be to chat with him about specific details of his conversation. For example: " hey neighbor, hows it going with that(insert detail from his conversation he thinks was private)"

Or you could learn enough about the subject to make a suggestion that would allow you both to be happy. Like blkhawk wrote, maybe if he has the right filter, he can happily talk without messin up your stereo.
Tony mac (author)  Toga_Dan5 years ago
He is fully aware of the problems he causes me and other neighbors each time he transmits,He actually thought i had some sort of jammer because he came calling one day with a gizmo in his hand saying i had such a device,which i don't.I don't get the levels i once did, in terms of volume but do get some most nights on my PC if i have the speakers turned on. I have tried OFFcom and they just buried their heads in the sand just like the local council so i'll keep sending the emails and see what can be done,Watch this space!lol
Kiteman6 years ago
You don't need a jammer, as that places you in the same bracket as the ham operator.

If you can't just talk to him, you need to report him to OfCom.  The interference you are suffering is probably a breach of his licence.

It is Definately against FCC rules fo interfere with anyone locally.....and as Kiteman points out, you'd do better with a "filter" rather then a jammer.

If he is on the proper channels, then he may be upping his power output over the top and some of the resonance is forcing itself onto your equipment.  
Tony mac (author)  Goodhart6 years ago
Ok thanks Goodhart.

Where can i buy a filter and where do i insert it?Apart from the obvious!

A google search for "inline filters" or low pass inline filters will give you a plethoria a sources
Tony mac (author)  Goodhart5 years ago
Thanks Goodhart for the excellent advice,totally appreciate your help
Thanks again
Tony Mac
1-10 of 70Next »