How to fix a cars air conditioning.

Alright, so my sisters cars air conditioning is no longer working. She took it to a mechanic and he said the repair would be around 3 grand to fix, but understandably she would rater fix it herself. So, I am trying to fix it for her, but I wanted to know if there was a way that I can remove the compressor without pouring Freon all over the place?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Goodhart10 years ago
Tis not cheap. The only time I ever had one looked at, they said all my hose was gone (riddled with holes), and the ducting. That alone, before even getting to the actual mechanism, would have cost me nearly $600 and that was at least 14 years ago.
jtobako10 years ago
There is a good chance that there isn't any refrigerant in the system and that's why it will cost so much to repair. Have you checked to make sure there aren't any leaks (pinholes in pipes or broken seals) or that you have pressure in the system?
Sedgewick17 (author) 10 years ago
It is a 1998 jeep,so I would guess it would be the newer one.
. Yep. . I know a (very) little bit about the older systems, but haven't worked on any of the new ones. From what I've read they are pretty much the same, just different refrigerant.
NachoMahma10 years ago
. Depends on if it's an older (R-22 or is it R-12?) or a newer (R-?) system. In the US, if it's the old stuff, it's against the law to vent it to atmosphere. If it's the new stuff, I _think_ you can go ahead and vent it, then replace with new when finished with the repairs.
. I can get a complete A/C system (compressor, condenser, evaporator, &c) for my 1967 Mustang for ~1000 USD from Vintage Air (not a recommendation, just one company I'm looking at). Haven't seen any prices for newer systems.
. PS: If you just need to move the compressor out of the way, there is often enough flexible hose attached that you can unbolt the compressor from the engine/brackets and push it out of the way. If you need to open a hose, you will have to remove the Freon first.