I need help with switching one audio output between two sets of speakers.

Hello, all.

To complete a project, I need to be able to switch one stereo audio output back and forth between two sets of speakers or headphones, (or be able to do something equivalent to this). I would like to be able to have one set of speakers playing the audio, and then at the push of a button or flip of a switch, switch the output to a second set of speakers.  If there's something like this available commercially, my Google-fu hasn't been strong enough to locate it.

It would have to be fairly compact and portable.

Does anyone know where to buy something like this or how to make something that can do what I want? Any helpful suggestions?

Edit: This link has something that would work if it weren't (I suspect) grossly overpriced and somewhat oversized:

NachoMahma5 years ago
.  You can do it with a DPDT switch if the speakers have a common "ground". Otherwise, use a 4PDT switch.
.  If one of the sets is headphones, you may need dropping resistor(s).
The Tower That Ate (author)  NachoMahma5 years ago
Could you please explain to me how to tell if the speakers have a common ground? I was going to use two of those dinky little speakers that each have a pair of double AA batteries that supplement the power from an mp3 player's audio jack. These speakers would be connected by a headphone splitter, and then to the mp3 player. The other branch off of the player would be a small pair of earbuds.

An On-On 4PDT switch looks to me like it has the sort of functionality I need.

Here's a sort of diagram, because I think it is unclear what I'm talking about.

.  Headphones/earbuds nearly always use a common.
.  Low-power speakers can go either way, but most speakers that will handle a Watt or more will NOT use a common. Your amplified speakers, since they use the headphone jack, are most likely common "ground."
It could be worked either you notice, you have 2 lines coming out and split into four.....BUT if you look carefully at the 4 after the split, you notice that it has a common ground line.   That can remain on one side straight through without switching back and forth since you need it for both. 

The "hot" wire is the one you want to switch back and forth, so a single DPDT switch on those two lines would work famously.
The Tower That Ate (author)  Goodhart5 years ago
Okay, I think I understand now. Thanks. :]
Glad we could help....I hope we didn't "overload" you too many times with the same information :-) 
Goodhart5 years ago
Here is one way to "do" it yourself:
The Tower That Ate (author)  Goodhart5 years ago
Thanks for the link! Somehow that iBle escaped my searches.
Doctor What5 years ago
Well, there are headphone splitters.  It takes one jack, and allows you to attach two sets of headphones.  Looks kinda like a Y.  You can get them at any tech store.

If you are trying to use a pushbutton, you could rip it apart, and use a SPDT switch to switch between the two.
The Tower That Ate (author)  Doctor What5 years ago
Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't understand where I could place the switch so that it would work. I have a very poor grasp of electronics so please bear with me, here. You can't run a stereo audio signal through a conventional SPDT switch like that, can you?
Well, I guess they're inexpensive enough that I'll give it a try. :\