Is Alumisol Soft Plastic food safe?

I'm looking to cast a fake monster tongue out of Alumisol Soft Plastic (Plastisol) for a costume. Obviously it will end up going in my mouth. I can't find any information anywhere about the food-safety of the solid compound. What I gather from the msds sheet is that it's non-toxic, but it's a little ambiguous. The retailer I asked couldn't find any information either. From what I can tell it's usually used to create soft rubber fishing lures, so I'd assume it's environmentally friendly with respect to not releasing toxins into the water, and its listed uses include special effects as well as medical reproductions (Of tissue).

Has anyone used this type of plastisol in contact with food or the surface of your mouth before? All help is appreciated.

sort by: active | newest | oldest

As a rule of thumb I always say with plastic: If it smells it might not be a good idea to put it in your mouth.

But being non toxic is a good start.

And for fishing: I can tell you if a lure has a plastic smell to it you won't catch anything on it!

Having said that I know the stuff is used a lot on spoons, not just for kids but also for people with a risk of injuring themself, like due to seizures.

I would assume it is safe for you if you wait until all the fumes are released.

SixFootBlue (author)  Downunder35m2 years ago

So I've found that Alumilite has a forum for customers to ask questions, and posted this here. It turns out it's not recommended for such a use. Thanks for all the advice though.

+1

Kiteman2 years ago

Non-toxic means it won't poison you.

Food-safe means that if it spends prolonged time in contact with food, nothing will leach out into the food.

You're not planning on stirring your chilli with it, are you?

SixFootBlue (author)  Kiteman2 years ago

No, it's just going to rest atop my tongue mostly. It's more the prolonged exposure that's concerning me.