Melting plastics with heat gun?

I'm attempting to make a costume and I need to make bubble eye caps.
Could I use a plastic bottle and heat it up so that it'll melt partially?

Mindmapper12 years ago

Ok firstly you dont want to melt you want to soften. To make a bulgy eye you would need some form of mould or shape form the plastic. This could be a ball.

Plastic sheet from food packing would normally be a thermoplastic so would form easily with a heat gun if you are careful.

Kiteman2 years ago

You'll need to make it bulge as well - have a look at the various vacuum forming projects on the site.