My video camera

Hey, I have an old Sony DCR-PC5 video camera, and I want to start using it again, but i'm not sure how, if i can, to get stuff onto the computer. It can take both a memory card, or a small cassette. I'm not sure how to set it to record onto the memory card, but the only one I have is just 32mb. There is a cord that will plug into the "Digital I/O" port, and then into the Serial Communications Port on the computer. Any ideas on how to get stuff onto the computer?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 43Next »
NachoMahma10 years ago
Weissensteinburg (author)  NachoMahma10 years ago

I think page 71 of that shows what I need...but I don't really understand it..
. Looks to me like you have three options: S-Video, composite, and FireWire. . SV and comp will require a card (as per the iBle) or adapter (eg, vid2USB). . If your computer has FireWire, you should be good to go. If not, you'll need a card of adapter. . Are you sure your present vid card(s) won't accept S-vid or composite? Or is it/they output only?
. Oops! S-Video is _not_ an option. That was just an output on the VCR. Sorry about that, Chief!
Weissensteinburg (author)  NachoMahma10 years ago
It doesn't have composite ports. It does, however have one between the vga and dvi ports that looks like an sv, but it has more holes. And since I have a pc, I don't have firewire.
. If you can figure out what type of port that is, you may be able to find an inxpensive adapter. It may take a standard SV/comp signal, just an odd connector.
Weissensteinburg (author)  NachoMahma10 years ago
It looks like the svideo, but it has 4 holes on top, and 3 holes on bottom, instead of the 4 holes that an sv has.
> has 4 holes on top, and 3 holes on bottom
. You lost me there. Looks like we've reached my limit. :(
. As westfw pointed out, a IEEE1349 card is pretty cheap. Check out for info about building your cable.
Weissensteinburg (author)  NachoMahma10 years ago
Well the camera has a firewire thing on it, so I should be able to get a standard one, right? If I did get that, what kind of software would I need?
No. The camera has a DV port. This is a miniature version of Firewire. You need a DV to Firewire cable and a Firewire card. With that setup, you'll be able to import the digital video directly into your computer with no loss. Of course, you will need software that will handle the importing of video. Lacking anything else, you can use Quicktime Pro ($29US).
1-10 of 43Next »