Neon Sculpture HELP!!!!!

I am looking for any information about fixing a neon sculpture we purchased in 2002. You folks seem pretty technically astute so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I live on a fairly rural island, the one sign shop here told me they would fix it if I could find parts. (They tested the bulb, which is fine, so it's either the transformer or the power cord). I know that's not very do-it-yourself, but I don't know anything about neon. It broke when I ran the vacuum over the power supply cord, I remember it made a "pop" noise. Anyway, the piece is mostly metal with a small (20" long) neon bulb attached. The transformer is only about 2" long, 1/2" wide. I tried to replace the cord from radio shack, they couldn't be sure they sold me the right one, so I'm still stuck. The dc output from the old cord is 12v, 500mA. The company that manufactured it was Neon Specialties, the cord also says "Moser & Co" on it. I couldn't find anything on the Internet. Anybody have a source for replacement parts? Or any advice? The piece has a lot of sentimental value to my husband, that's why I would like to fix it. Thank you!

Picture of Neon Sculpture HELP!!!!!
sort by: active | newest | oldest
12V8 years ago
this uses a 12v electronic inverter go to a sign shop and find out the voltage and current ratings .find out the voltage and current ratings of tube (leave a comment which mentions these) and i will see if i can find a replacement on the internet.
aprilq1111 (author)  12V8 years ago
I took the whole thing to Radio Shack last year (our only choice on the island, other than the sign shop who couldn't help me). They sold me a little cord and adapter, but it still doesn't work. I've kept the cord in case it is a two-part problem, but they weren't able to assure me that the cord could help anyway.
lemonie8 years ago
It broke when you ran the vacuum over the power supply cord, you remember it made a "pop" noise. I assume you chewed the wire and short-circuited it, and it's the white low voltage supply (upper right) that needs to be replaced. That looks fairly standard, and it appears to have it's vital statistics on it. L
Lftndbt9 years ago
Just to add confusion to the conversation.... you said "then solder it in place of the old one." Just to clarify, you would be adding it to the back of the sign then connecting the 210v etc cord to it. Yes? not replacing that little black box as your comment would suggest. Your statement "it would replace the power cord and the transformer on the unit" The transformer is on the cord at the moment... I'm not sure what is inside the black box but it's not a transformer.... If I have just confused you sorry... Just your phrasing lead me to believe you might be confused... sorry just trying to assist.
aprilq1111 (author) 9 years ago
So it's o.k. to use a higher number? My new cord is 1000 mA instead of 500, I was worried about that. Also are transformers universal? it doesn't have to be identical? Thank you.
aprilq1111 (author)  aprilq11119 years ago
So what I need to do is buy a transformer like this:

then solder it in place of the old one. (Ensuring the polarities are correct). If I understand it right, it would replace the power cord and the transformer on the unit?
Yes, it should be fine. If it doesn't work you may have to change the polarity (cut the wires and switch the 2 sides). Other that that it should be fine.
Hang on a second you need to make sure that the polarity matches, which is to say that positive and negative are on the same places on the new and old plug.
LinuxH4x0r9 years ago
Try getting another transformer. Anything that is 12 volts and OVER 499 mA should work. They should be very common at most electronic stores. Good luck