New Idea but I don't know how to make it

Hey all, I was just looking at some photos on some photographers website in a series called Beautiful Decay. I had looked at maybe two or three when I suddenly had an idea. I know some various ways of aging things, primarily metal, but there is one style of aging which must technically be possible but I am coming up with only a few possibilities as to how to do it on my own: flaking paint. So far I have thought of dabbing on paint thinner before spraying to make it have a weak bond to the surface or adding powder (probably whatever the surface is, just ground up) for the same effect and then with the weak bond simply sweeping over the area with a broom several times to flake the paint. These seem like they would be hard to make seem natural. a second idea that kind of fits in is fake rust. By that I mean that the surface looks old and rusty (get your tetanus booster kind of thing) but is actually fully protected from the elements. Any ideas you have are welcome and I thank you for them in advance.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 15Next »
DavidB7221 year ago

This might help. From Sherwin Williams, telling people who got alligatored paint and didn't want it, what they did wrong. 1. Rigid coating like oil enamel over softer more flexible coating. 2. Coating over a glossy finish 3. Applying top coat before base coat is dry. So experiment with these things and see what you can come up with. Good luck.

Kiteman9 years ago
Try looking at furniture distressing techniques, such as this:


The first technique is the crackle technique.
This elegant effect stimulates the fine crackling seen in the varnish of old paintings or on old base coats. The result is often the result of age and of stress causes by humidity or of incompatible mediums.
- Sand the surface of the furniture and apply a water-based colour over the entire surface area. Allow to dry for 24 hours. Once dry, apply a thick coat of wallpaper paste and gum arabic and leave it to dry.
- Apply a coat of white latex or other desired light colour over the paste mixture
- Once this coat has been applied, dry the whole area with a hair dryer on maximum heat. Cracking should appear quite quickly.
- Mix a small amount of raw sienna and raw umber acrylic paint with a little water and paint over the surface, making sure it gets into the cracks.

From this site.

There is also a "how to" in this book.
110100101109 years ago
I'd try to make the bimetallic effect in the paint - when 2 or more layers of paint shrink in different speed they stress themselfes and also bend Try to paint the second layer with different paint while the first did not dry completely and then overheat it with heat spreader to make it dry fast and crack
finfan7 (author)  110100101109 years ago
So heatgunning an uneven paintjob. Sounds simple enough.
Goodhart9 years ago
there are types of coatings you can put on a painted surface (follow the instructions) that will wrinkle the paint. If you allow it to harden again...breaking the wrinkle points makes it looked, I don't mean "wrinkle style paint" because that produces small wrinkles and probably will not work. Art and craft stores carry it.
finfan7 (author)  Goodhart9 years ago
Do you know the brand name of any of those products?
no, and I tried a few online searches the other day and only came up with the "wrinkle paint" I have seen my wife use it in the past, but I can't find any of it in the house right now. Of course, my description of its use might be way off too *shrug*
finfan7 (author)  Goodhart9 years ago
ah. Thanks anyway. I'll keep an eye out next trip to the store.
The stuff I have seen is crackle paint and it's at home depot, it's one of there many faux finishes, and I can't remember if is behr product or a Ralph louren paint product, but if you ask at the paint mixing counter they will point you in the right direction....
LinuxH4x0r9 years ago
Why don't you go at it backwards? Take a rusty piece of metal and slowly clean it.
1-10 of 15Next »