October 2014 Build Night with DODOcase
Deadline to sign up: Tuesday, September 9. Accepted spaces will be notified by Wednesday, September 10.
OCTOBER BUILD NIGHT
We are partnering with DODOcase, maker of award winning, handmade cases and sleeves for tablets and phones, for our October 2014 build night. DODOcase recently developed a Smartphone Virtual Reality Viewer inspired by Google’s Cardboard Project (**more info below). Sign up to participate in the build night and we will ship you a package that includes:
- (10) DODOcase Cardboard VR Toolkits - you must have an iPhone or Android to use the kit.
At your build night we would like you to make physical mods to the kits and/or develop new software to support to support the Google Cardboard Project.
Adding a strap
Trucker Hat attachment
Colors/Designs for it
Applications using Accelerometers
Content/Apps for iPhone and Android
Any other mods that are “outside the box”
**About DODOcase VR
DODOcase believes the next million VR experiences will come from mobile devices and has made it possible for the masses to explore VR in a cost effective, attainable way with the DODOcase Smartphone Virtual Reality Viewer. The company's build-your-own kit costs only $25 and will allow anyone the ability to experience VR. Inspired by the Google cardboard kit announced at the I/O conference, DODOcase was quick to act by designing and developing its own version of the viewer and an app (in beta) to go with it. Since June 26th, the company has sold more than 15,000 units to VR enthusiasts and developers around the world. DODOcase is looking to connect with content and app developers who are pioneering the VR space. Email DODOcaseVR email@example.com.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Host a Build Night: pick a night or day in October (any night/day) to host a project build night using the Google Cardboard VR Toolkits. You can host multiple build nights during October to work on your projects.
- Post 3 Instructables: post 3 Instructables using the Google Cardboard VR Toolkits. Not posting these Instructables will affect your chances to participate in future build nights.
- Brownie Points (not required): after the build night post a forum topic on Instructables about your event. Include pictures, stories, etc... Here are two examples from past build nights: Noisebridge and Makers Local 256. We may even feature your photos on the homepage.
The space that submits the Instructable with the most unique mod of the DODOcase Google Cardboard VR Toolkit or content/app for iPhone or Android will receive a copy of the Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate.
Virtual Reality Kinetoscope Parlor by Taipei Hackerspace
Honorable Mentions ($25 DODOcase Gift Certificate):
Deadmau5 VR DODOcase by Techlab217
How to make DODOCase VR kit V 1.2 from your old V 1.1 by Cairo Hackerspace
SIGN UP - Please only sign up if you are able to complete the requirements listed above. This is a 2-step sign up process. YOU MUST COMPLETE BOTH TO FULLY SIGN UP.
- Fill out this google form.
- You will then receive a private message in your Instructables inbox by September 10 asking for your shipping information. You cannot receive the DODOcase Cardboard VR Kits without completing this step.
- Kit Instructional Video
- DODOcase Blog
- Google Cardboard Project
- DODOcase App (beta)
- Instructables App (for documentation during the build night): iOS and Android
JOIN US ON SOCIAL
Follow us and reach out on social media!
Twitter: @DODOsays, @DODOcaseVR, @Instructables, #dodocaseVR
JOIN OUR ANNOUNCEMENT LIST
If you are interested in being directly notified about future build nights fill out this form. You will receive an e-mail when new events are announced in the forums. Please only sign up if you are not already on the build night mailing list.
ABOUT BUILD NIGHTS
Instructables is sponsoring monthly build nights at makerspaces and hackerspaces around the world. Each month we partner with a different company to send you materials and/or tools to run a workshop at your space. In return your space posts Instructables from your build night.