Old water wells

I was wondering if anyone could give me information or specs on an old style water well/ bucket well. Specifically on what the crank is and what it is called.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Kiteman9 years ago
If you mean an old "wishing well", there aren't really any standard specifications, they just built something to fit over the hole.

The bucket was usually raised by a rope wrapped around a simple shaft, turned by a handle.

Try this really useful website.
NachoMahma9 years ago
. It's called a windlass. The link Kiteman provided has more info.
Rishnai9 years ago
Besides "crank" I wouldn't know what the crank is called. Since I've been itching to do a little drafting lately, I've attached an undimensioned drawing of the sorts of cranks I've seen.