loading

Oven blows up and no photos.

My wife was making potato wedges last night when in the middle of cooking the bottom burner catches fire and starts to sparkle like a party sparkler. I run for my camera and when I get back to the kitchen its over my wife turned off the stove and when I turned the stove back on nothing happens.

Now that the fun part is over does anyone want me to do an Instructable on how to repair an oven element?

The white marks are from the electrical fire.

Picture of Oven blows up and no photos.
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 23Next »
Josehf Murchison (author) 4 years ago
Thanks
Wouldn’t you know it I just fixed the oven and one of the stove top burners blow taking the burner plug with it.
Well I guess I have a new Instructable to do.
kelseymh4 years ago
Yes, you should absolutely do an I'ble on this! Even for people who aren't likely to do the repair themselves, it tells us what to look for, what we "could" do, and what questions to ask and answers to expect when evaluating a repairperson.

And also, Kiteman's Law.
Josehf Murchison (author)  kelseymh4 years ago
Looks good! The language could use some tightening up (I'm an obsessive editor), but it's a great project anyway :-)
Josehf Murchison (author)  kelseymh4 years ago
It's the redneck comming out of me.
Josehf Murchison (author)  kelseymh4 years ago
That gives me an idea the last step assessing your repairman.
caitlinsdad4 years ago
Was that more of a flare-up from food residue on the element itself or corrosion of the resistive coating on the element shorting it out? I guess the party would have started if you ran for a bucket of water to put the fire out.
Josehf Murchison (author)  caitlinsdad4 years ago
I wish my wife did not turn off the stove so I could have gotten photos of it throwing off sparks it was neat.

The burner is a steel tube filled with white powder and a filament like the one in a light bulb running through the center. This one got so hot it was throwing sparks like molten steel, electrical arks, and flames. The bubbling on the burner you see is the melted burner.

I was wondering if someone would like an Instructable on how to do this repair?
Instead of attempting to repair, I would consider replacing the stove. The fire could have damaged the wiring.
Josehf Murchison (author)  blkhawk4 years ago
1-10 of 23Next »