Paper Airplane Challenge 1 (Closed)
The aim of this challenge is to design a paper airplane or family of paper airplanes that can fulfill three tasks.
1. Aircraft Requirements:
• Ability to: (A) fly at least 30 feet; (B) perform at least one full loop, wingover and/or half Cuban eight and fly a further 15 feet; and (C) carry at least four 100mg toothpicks (20 pts each; 60 pts total)
• Up to three differently configured variants can be submitted to fill the A, B and C capabilities. Between variants there must be at least 40% commonality in construction (2 of 5 steps are identical). (5 pts)
• Durability in each airframe to fly at least 20 flights (5 pts)
• Use of less than 15 inches (0.381 meters) of tape in the construction of all aircraft (5 pts)
• Use of less than 6 pieces of 8.5 by 11 inch (A4) paper in the construction of all aircraft (5 pts)
• Aircraft must be named (if there are multiple variations, identify each distinctly with names and/or designations) (5 pts)
(This totals to 85 points possible for the aircraft.)
2. Instructable Requirements:
• 1 page (not the intro page) strictly devoted to materials required in construction (4 pts)
• 1 page explaining how to fly the aircraft (if there are multiple variants, illustrate how to fly each if necessary) (4 pts)
• The instructables’ license(s) must be: "Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike (by-nc-sa)". Entries not wholly original must honor licensing agreements associated with the original publisher(s). (4 pts)
• This sentence and link must be displayed on your entry's intro page: "This instructable is an entry in Paper Airplane Challenge 1." (3 pts)
(This totals to 15 points possible for the aircraft’s instructable; 100 points possible for the entry as a whole.)
For this contest I will award the publishers of the top 3 paper airplane instructables* one patch each. Each patch will feature its respective aircraft. The first place winner will also receive one 1 year Instructables.com Pro membership. The second place winner will also receive two 3-month Instructables.com Pro memberships. The third place winner will also receive one 3-month Instructables.com Pro membership.
One Instructables 1 Year Pro Membership
2 Instructables 3 Month Pro Memberships
1 Instructables 3 Month Pro Membership
An extra 3 month Pro membership will be awarded to the designer of the most original, successful design. This bonus prize is not subject to the distribution limit below, and therefore, the top 3 contenders remain eligible to win.
*Multiple entries are allowed. To keep the distribution of patches wide however, each contender can only win one prize.
How to Enter:
To enter this contest, you must send me a private message entitled “Challenge Entry Airplane [Your Member Name Here]” with your instructables’ URL(s) included. I will then put the link and author's name onto a list on this topic below, under "Entries".
I will judge entries based on aircraft performance and the quality and presentation of its instructable. Aircraft will be analysed and scored based on the requirements and whether or not they have been met. The contest begins Friday, June 8, 2012 and ends Friday,
First Place (Tie):