Positions available at Instructables (updated June 30, 2015)
Java DeveloperInstructables is looking for a mid-level Java developer to join our engineering team at Pier 9 in San Francisco. Our ideal candidate has spent the last 5+ years writing Java pretty much every day. Fluency is Java is a must, and our ideal candidate also has good knowledge of Java web applications and specifically these technologies will go a long ways:
- Comfort with Unix / Command line
Our application has reached a stage where a number of interesting performance and resource allocation issues are part of the daily job. You'll have help learning your way around a large code base, but we want you to feel comfortable contributing your expertise from day one. You would be writing the back end code that powers all of Instructables’ platforms across the web and mobile devices, so if you have a passion for writing clear, concise, scalable and testable code that others will find easy to read and maintain over time, we want to hear from you!
We offer some great perks and one of the coolest offices in SF. Employees have training and access to one of the most advanced workshops in the world. We have a very flexible and dynamic work environment with the stability and supercharged benefits of our parent company, Autodesk. Our work is exciting and rewarding because our users love the things we work on.
Sound fun? Send your resume, cover letter and work examples to auctoramentum at instructables dot com. Make the subject of your email robot-related, and, if possible, witty.
the subject of your email robot-related, and, if possible, witty.
Community Manager (Advertorial Focus)Instructables is looking for an awesome person to join our team of Community Managers. This is a part-time, week-day position that will be done from Pier 9 in San Francisco, CA. This position works closely with other brands that have purchased advertising programming on Instructables, and will help implement these campaigns in a multitude of ways. We are looking for an active maker, who understands and is familiar with the maker community. A strong customer service-oriented mentality, exceptional communication skills, and the ability to work efficiently and independently are key characteristics of the ideal candidate. Previous brand marketing experience is preferred.
- Moderating and assisting in the administration of branded contests and other branded site programs.
- Curating/featuring content - an eye for great stories that are share-worthy.
- Engaging with authors and users of the site
- Managing branded product giveaways to the community.
- Setting expectations and tone for the community through your own high-quality content and interactions with other members
- Schedule management of programming via collaborative Google Sheets
Candidates should be passionate about the maker community -- we prefer to hire from within the existing instructables community (so be sure to mention your username when you apply).
This is a constantly evolving environment that is fun and exciting to be a part of, but it requires a high level of adaptability and flexibility, along with the embodiment of the site’s “be nice” policy at all times. Do you think you’d be a good fit with our team? We’d love to chat with you!
Please send a resume, cover letter, portfolio, and any other useful information to auctoramentum at instructables dot com, and be sure to specify that you are applying for the part-time Advertorial Community Manager position. Make the subject of your email robot-related, and, if possible, witty.
Product Marketing Manager - Maker AppsThe Autodesk Consumer and 3D Printing Team is seeking a creative, analytical and highly motivated professional to take the company’s position in the Personal Design and Fabrication (or “Maker”) market to the next level.
As Product Marketing Manager for the Personal Design and Fabrication market, you will market our 123D Circuits, 123D Catch, and Meshmixer products to hackers, product designers, artists, and makers of all ages around the world. You will direct product branding and naming activities, product launches, and user acquisition and retention programs across multiple channels and support the growth of an active passionate user community.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define product and service go-to market strategy, and develop annual, quarterly, and launch marketing plans that address the complete funnel from awareness through nurture.
- Develop product positioning, messaging, and drive overall strategy for user-focused communications and brand across web, in-app, email, and other channels.
- Develop programs that drive sales of supporting hardware and goods by product users (Custom Circuit boards and partner products).
- Regularly assess and report on program effectiveness through quantitative and qualitative data.
- Become active user of products and provide ongoing input to product management team to inform product roadmap.
- Evangelize product and business externally with customers, partners, users and the press as well as internally with executives and colleagues.
Experience and Skills Required:
- BA, BS or equivalent degree in Business, Marketing or related field.
- 5 years marketing, program management or equivalent experience in software, SaaS, or mobile apps.
- Working understanding of 3D printing. IoT, and electronics strongly preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills, with ability to link strategy to business objectives and financial plans.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to influence and collaborate in a cross-functional setting, and effectively interact at all levels on a globally distributed team.
InternshipsIf you’ve ever wanted to see what happens behind the scenes here at HQ, here’s your chance! We want passionate people who can use our amazing workspace to help them realize their maker dreams, and help us manage the best community on the Internet. These paid positions are located at the Pier 9 workshop in San Francisco.
The strongest applicants will have an Instructables account with a history of well documented projects which show off your amazing skills. Send an email to auctoramentum at instructables dot com with a fun, robot-related subject line. What are you waiting for? Blow us away with your creative portfolio and tell us what projects you want to make when you’re here!
Volunteer Intern/Apprentices - orphans preferredThe illustrious Tim Anderson, one of Instructables most prolific authors, is also seeking interns, orphans preferred. See his posting here.
About InstructablesInstructables is the most popular Do It Yourself community on the Internet. With currently over 29 million monthly active users, you will join a team that is having a meaningful impact on the world. Started in August 2005, Instructables provides accessible tools and publishing instructions to enable passionate, creative people to share their most innovative projects, recipes, ideas, and hacks. The site is currently home to over 100,000 projects covering such diverse areas as crafts, art, kids, electronics, pets, bikes, cars, robotics, green projects, and cooking. In 2011, we were acquired by Autodesk. Our benefits are now super-charged!
We're located at Pier 9 in San Francisco in the world's most advanced workshop directly on the bay with gorgeous natural light and unobstructed views of the Bay Bridge. In our shop, we have CNC everything, a 5-axis waterjet, an 11-axis mill, the largest collection of high-end 3D printers, a woodshop, a metal shop, an enormous test kitchen, industrial sewing machines, and a fully stocked electronics lab. See this Machine Catalog Instructable for a peek.
If you want to work remotely
Click here for more information about helping out around the Instructables website.
This is the most recent and up to date job listing for Instructables despite the posting date.