loading

S.O.S !!! OVERDOSE OF K.M.S IN WINE


i have added excess potassium meta bisulphite in my wine. i'm afraid i will screw the entire 3 litre batch. please help me to avert this disaster!!! PLEASE!!! :,-(

here is the volume i added.
7ml of 9% K.M.S soln. ( 13g in 150 ml of water) in 3 litres of wine.

S.O.S
S.O.S
S.O.S   :-P

Regards,
Chakra

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Kiteman6 years ago
Daft question - what effects are we trying to counter? What does the KMS do to the wine?

K.M.S. or potassium meta bisulphite

It is used as a food additive, also known as E224. It is restricted in use and may cause severe allergic reactions in sensitive persons.

This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine.

3. Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED in concentrated form. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC REACTION. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
Reaction with acids may release sulfur dioxide.
chakra (author)  Goodhart6 years ago
yes yes yes!!! i open the bottle and it smells like if the Devil burnt sulphur inside!!

any remedies??
You have to oxidize it : Use a drop (just a drop) of hydrogen peroxide ina 20 volumes concentration, shake vigorously and taste after 3 minutes. If its necessary add another drop. Be careful, you can destroy your wine.
Another way its heat your wine at 40 degrees and let the suphur gone, but it can ruin the flavour, test it.

Cheers
chakra (author)  jledesma15 years ago
thanks a lot!! you are a life saver!!
by hydrogen peroxide, did u mean the medical one or even a cosmetic solution will do??
has to be medical, and only H2O2, woithout any other compund
Goodhart chakra6 years ago
I haven't found any so far, sorry
Mr. E Meat6 years ago
I haven't used potassium meta bisulphite in my wine for a while, but when sterilizing must, I believe that it evaporates/dissipates to a level that the yeast can survive. You may be able to leave your wine open to the air until it is not noticeable but with the amount that you added, I'd probably just throw it out....