Swiss engineers build Bond-like underwater car

It is called the sQuba, and it is a car that runs on land, as well as in the water. Inspired by the Lotus Espirit, in the James Bond Movie, "The Spy Who Loved Me", the Swiss engineering company, Rinspeed Inc, was the mastermind behind it.

If you are heading to the Geneva car show, it is expected to make a visit there.

Read the full article at
Company CEO Frank Rinderknecht, a self-professed Bond fan, said he has been waiting 30 years to recreate the car he saw Roger Moore use to drive off of a dock.

The sQuba can plow through the water at a depth of 30 feet and has electrical motors to turn the underwater screw.

You'll have to break out the wetsuit, however.

The car has an open top, meaning that the two passengers are exposed to the elements.

"For safety reasons, we have built the vehicle as an open car so that the occupants can get out quickly in an emergency," said Rinderknecht, 52.

Passengers will be able to keep breathing underwater through an integrated tank of compressed air similar to what is used in scuba diving.

The sQuba's top speed on land is about 77 mph, but it slows down to 3 mph on the surface of the water, and 1.8 mph underwater.

Picture of Swiss engineers build Bond-like underwater car
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 20Next »
mwwdesign9 years ago
Insurance claim Details of Incident: Um, I hit a whale.
im actually not suprised, i knew this was possible, they said 55 years ago that flying cars would be around right now!! But! No they arent here are they? :p :p
Plasmana9 years ago


That is so beyond amazing!!! A car that can travel on land, on water and underwater...

How much does that car cost?
Brennn10 (author)  Plasmana9 years ago
Too much.
LOL! I expected you will saying something like that!
icanmake9 years ago
Where do you get one of those cars
They need torpedos in that thing =P
BTW: Did any one realize that at the beginning that some one pinged them big time?
I see several major issues coming with this car once they speed it up. First you'll need a drivers licence (goes without saying but I said it anyway). Then you'll need a boating license. And lastly you'll need to be (at least) open water scuba certified. I can see this costing the upward of $300 to just be able to drive it... and then think how easy it will be for people to escape from the cops. Just when they think they've got you.. nope they got to call in the boats.
Police boats? You could catch this on an airbed, paddled with a plastic spade.
1-10 of 20Next »