Tactile / Joystick Switches

I'm looking for small, four-directional (with or without center-push), "joystick" style switches, like the SKQU series (PDF), except perhaps a little larger, through-hole, and with caps, like here (PDF). (see item "G").

But more importantly, I'd like to know if there's a better way to refer to them, or more exact terminology I could use while searching. Does anyone have experience with these?

westfw9 years ago
I usually see them called "navigation switchs", and digikey has several hits under that title. Nothing through-hole that I saw, though. MANY such "switches" in gamepads and similar turn out to be conventional (or printed) pushbutton switches with a clever mechanical layout.
Ian M (author)  westfw9 years ago
Thanks that's helpful. My inspiration was finding that the Atari controller was just four switches to ground like that, but the modern game controllers I took apart were all "analog sticks".
. The Ataris used "bubble switches" - alumininized Mylar (or something similar). Not very rugged. . I noticed in another thread that the individual switches are often called "tach" switches. I would've spelled it tact, but what do I know?
NachoMahma9 years ago