What are these electric components?

Hello guys I thought you could help me out with this a little bit.
So I went to the dollar store looking for some. I'd like hack some to what I want, but first I need to know how it works!

Um want to know what these things are on the board and what it is.

So, I want to know what that black blob is on PCB and also that barrel shaped thing and why is the siren hooked up to that barrel.

Thanks guys!

Picture of What are these electric components?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 15Next »
lemonie4 years ago
What is the thing from the $ store and why did you choose to it?

HavocRC (author)  lemonie4 years ago
It's a window magnet alarm. Pretty cool you get a siren, magnet switch (NC), 3 LR44 button cell batteries all for one buck.
lemonie HavocRC4 years ago
I'd have the (piezo?) siren & switch. The rest probably isn't much use unless you've an idea for something with magnets.

mofoya4 years ago
The black blob is called a "chip-on-board." It's essentially an integrated circuit (IC) that is glued directly to the board instead of being inside a plastic case with multiple pins coming out to make the connections. The 'black blob' is the glue that holds it there and protects it. I can't tell exactly what it is that you have there, but since you called it a siren I'll guess that the IC contains the data that generates whatever sounds it makes.

The 'barrel' is a resistor, probably the most commonly used electronic component. In this situation it is probably used to limit the current to the siren. Resistors have many, MANY other applications as well. It's way too much to go into on a forum post.

Try google-ing 'basic electronics tutorial' or something similar and start reading... A LOT.
HavocRC (author)  mofoya4 years ago
Hey mofoyaI know what a resistor is- I'm not talking about that. I'm not that basic! Haha, I was talking about the big black barrel shaped thing at the top of the PCB.

If I didn't know that was a resistor I wouldn't have an instructable. If you think I'm that basic go ahead and watch it here- https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-headlights-and-turn-signals-on-your-RC-car/
mofoya HavocRC4 years ago
You don't need to prove how "not basic" you are.  I was just trying to be helpful with the tiny amount of information given in the OP.  

About the resistor thing... I just missed the ball.  I thought that's what you were talking about being barrel shaped.

Anyway, no big deal, you got your answers either way.  Good luck with whatever your going to do with that thing...
HavocRC (author)  mofoya4 years ago
Haha thanks! I guess I should be a little more descriptive in the future! Hey thanks anyways!

Mofoya, "Try google-ing 'basic electronics tutorial' or something similar and start reading... A LOT."

I like it :P
The resistor is the item with the colored stripes on it. As steve said the black barrel looking thing is an inductor.
yeah, i was unclear about what was being referred to as a "barrel shaped thing."
HavocRC (author)  mofoya4 years ago
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to but in "black" so you guys don't think I don't know what a resistor is. LOL
1-10 of 15Next »