loading

What happened to my penny?!

When I used my newly made wind shield/stand for my alcohol fuel penny stove, the penny was deformed. I was using denatured alcohol for fuel and it was burning well. After it completed my test (boiled a cup of water before it ran out of fuel and without blowing out in the wind) and I was taking it apart to see how well it stood up to the new conditions I noticed that the once shiny penny had been completely deformed. I was wondering if anyone knew how or why this happened.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
gmoon7 years ago
If it's hot enough to melt zinc, you should use a different metal as a spacer. "Galvanized fume poisoning" is a nasty side effect of breathing zinc fumes...
lemonie7 years ago
I believe those pennies are mostly zinc, which melts at 420oC and boils at 900oC.

L
flamethrower1010 (author)  lemonie7 years ago
but do you believe it got up to 420 in that little thing?
Maybe, or perhaps it slowly evaporated, I notice the paint on the can has browned.
Goodhart7 years ago
The USA penny: 97.5% Zinc and 2.5% Copper (20% lighter)

see This chart here if you know the date
Kiteman7 years ago
UK pennies are not copper all the way through (they have a core of steel, because pure copper pennies cost more than a penny to make). Possibly you have burned off the copper, or possibly there has been an electro-chemical reaction between the copper and the aluminium of the can?
flamethrower1010 (author)  Kiteman7 years ago
now that you mention it there was a greenish flame at one point i thought it was just something on the can could that have been it?