What is the melting point of molded plastic epoxy ?

Hello. I would like to know what is the melting point for most integrative circuits epoxy molded plastics ? The kind of plastic I am talking about would be the ones used for BGA chips found in smart phone IC's (integrative circuits). I would think that a decent powerful household kitchen microwave should have enough power to melt this type of epoxy material used for BGA IC's. I would like to de-cap the BGA. PLEASE note that I will be using a cheap throw away kitchen microwave to melt the IC and the BGA is not important even if the heat generated damages the die layers made of silicon. This is strictly for hobby purposes. The same question but does anyone know what kind of metal is the bottom part (the tiny metal circles ie solder balls) of a BGA IC made from ?

sort by: active | newest | oldest

Using the microwave will destroy the chip - leterally, as most of the time they will bust into tiny pieces.
AFAIK most use a glass mixed resin that is close to a ceramic once cured.

Best option would be to use a milling machine through to the die level.

+1 on microwave destroying electronics.

caitlinsdad2 years ago

I don't even know if that cured epoxy is microwaveable. But take a look at this process http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/141077-how-to-c...

Ifixit site or Hackaday does a lot of teardowns where you can read up on. Good luck.

I used strong acids quite often and have to say they are not for the faint of heart or those without the proper safety guards in place.
At the level of battery acid, sulfuric acid is not toooo bad, if on the skin a quick rins with water is all it takes, but miss it or get it in the eyes...
And nitric acid will be very hard to come by these days in proper concentrations as it is a regulated substance in most countries.
But keep it safe and it works great for the job if you don't need the pins or anything as the acid will only leave the silicone chip more or less intact.
Please neutralise all used acid with baking soda before bringing it to a suitable disposal place.
As quite a few toxic products are produced the waste acid should never be flushed down the drains.

Concentrated formic acid attacks epoxy best....

Toga_Dan2 years ago

some plastics melt. Some plastics just burn or get brittle. You may want to play with the process in a well vented spot, and perhaps with a respirator.

Options: heat gun

Boiling water

Boiling salt water. (Hotter than pure water)

Hot pan of salt or sand.

Oven, perhaps toaster oven.

Microwave

verence2 years ago

The housing material will not melt in a micro wave. In fact, it will sit in the microwave and do nothing at all (just like almost any type plastic does). What will do something is any piece of metal (i.e. any conductible material inside the IC [btw. that's for integrated, not integrative circuit]) - so you may get sparks, the IC may crack and let the magic smoke out, anyway the IC will be dead.

You may try to mill down the housing - file it off.

The solder balls are made out of typical solder material. Mostly tin, maybe silver, in older devices lead. For more information look at the data sheet of your device. Try to find some numbers on top of it and search the internet.