What is this thing?

I can't even tell what it's made of. It's black, it has a cherry blossom bough embossed on it, and it smells like incense. I've had it for years but don't remember where it came from. I hope it's not illegal, because now you've seen it. It has a little paper wrapper. Any ideas?

Picture of What is this thing?
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 22Next »
kelseymh5 years ago
Looks like a block of calligraphy ink.
Dr. P (author)  kelseymh5 years ago
Well, I'll be darned. I licked it and drew with it! That's awfully fancy. Any clue what it says? (Probably "Calligraphy ink. Poison. Do not lick.")
bajablue Dr. P4 years ago
kelseymh Dr. P5 years ago
No, can't help you with the writing. I tried looking up the characters in my Chinese-English dictionary, but they're Old Style, and I got my dictionary in Beijing.

It's fancy because calligraphy is High Art, and an important part of culture. See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calligraphy
Dr. P (author)  kelseymh5 years ago
Thanks so much for the information! Now, how about this? Anybody have any information about this creepy little thing? It's not a Mecki, and there's no tag. I think it's probably about 50 years old.
not a mecki.jpg
kelseymh Dr. P5 years ago
Gah. That's....disturbing. You probably want to put this up as a new forum topic (or even better, a "Question"). Good luck!
mole13 years ago

Sniff it. If it smells good, it's the fancy stuff. If there's no smell it's probably student grade. You are supposed to grind into ink with water on an ink stone. It's the kind of ink used in sumi painting. It has some interesting properties when used with Western watercolors.

nancyjohns3 years ago

That's Japanese. China and japan share a character set called "kanji".

murphybedhq4 years ago
Yes it says Japan, but the writing looks Chinese to me though.. no clue :)
1-10 of 22Next »