Woodworking question

Newbie here... I am new to this, and new to woodworking too. Having put up a few shelves lately to house my many books, I decided that a nice prectical hobby was what I needed, and now I am 50, I have a bit of cash to spend on some decent tools. I have in mind to make some small things at home, and intend to keep some for my own use and donate the rest to charity shops to raise funds for good causes. I have in my possession a cheeseboard, and want to make my own. It has a cambered edge, not a flat one, and I wondered how to go about making one. how do I get a cambered edge? Any tips on useful tools and techniques appreciated.

sort by: active | newest | oldest
Proclamator4 years ago
Start with a table saw with a good fence, this will cut the board to the width you want.
The next thing would be a chop saw to cut to the length you want. A router and small assortment of bits will take care of edge profiles. A bench top drill press and bench top band saw are really helpful. I can't stress enough the importance of buying good tools and not the junk they make for occasional use only. I have done professional cabinet making for years and I still have a lot of the tools I bought at first. There are hand tools that will be necessary for the work you want to do. Get a random orbit sander, a drill driver, and an assortment of clamps and you are off to a good start.
Enjoy your new hobby, it is addicting. BTW check out the site called Lumberjocks,
great people and a lot of good ideas.
trebuchet0311 years ago
As for useful tools... I built my bed with my father (not to many things we do anymore - so it was kinda fun). Two major tools helped greatly for that project.

1. Table Saw with a fence -- he used the bed as an excuse to buy a bosch portable saw and some nice blades. I think he paid $950 for the saw and blades. The saw itself was on "sale" - it included the stand (to make it portable), the saw itself and the fence.

2. Radial Arm saw -- we got this second hand for free. It's about 25 years old (craftsmen - when their stuff was actually pretty decent). Honestly, of all the power tools I have used - that is one machine that scares the shit out of me. The blade rotates so that it tends to jump towards you (if the material gets caught in a knot or something).
Sgt.Waffles11 years ago
A GOOD router, a router table, and a few HIGH QUALITY bits. i stress the high quality, because useing a cheap bit could destroy your project by being uneven. Woodworking rule #1, do NOT Halfass ANYTHING
I'm not sure what you mean by a cambered edge, rounded? anyways, yes just about any kind of edge can be made with a router and properly shaped bit, for a simple rounded edge you could shape with a block plane and finish with sandpaper, or skip the plane and just round over with power sanding.
maybe he means chamfer?
Duh, why didn't that occur to me? Then yeah, a plane would be quickest if the corners and sides are square, otherwise a router with a chamfer bit. And if you don't have one you could get away with a cheap router for this task.
Or you can just rig up a power drill under some kind of stand/table (with a hole in it) and get some router bits, if you don't feel like paying more money for the router (I was lucky and got my plunge router for my B-day a couple of years ago. It cost around $80 I think, but you can get them cheaper).
Ummm, have you ever tried that? I wouldn't. Routers spin about 20x the speed of a drill. I wish i got a plunge router for my birthday, i have a craftsman I bought at a yard sale.
Never tried it, but I thought of trying it out with my dad's "industrial grade" (not sure if it really is, but it's large and powerful enough) drill on some pine first (before I got my router). If anyone does decide to try it, I'd suggest starting off with some soft wood and a heavy duty drill (remember to be careful) and post their results here. If I have some spare time this weekend, I'll attempt it (without the "base/stand") and give results on if it worked on pine or not.... Wish me luck :)
Bighead11 years ago
You would need a router to form edges.