bleeding

i have a problem - the tip of my scissor cut my finger, and it won't stop bleeding. i've had constant pressure on it for twenty minutes, and i used a styptic (sorry, can't spell it right) pencil. what can i do to get it to stop bleeding?

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 37Next »
Sedgewick179 years ago
If you are really desperate you could try cauterizing the cut, and the apply honey to help the burn heal faster.
sugg22 (author)  Sedgewick179 years ago
well, not this time - it wasn't bad enough, although one time i stepped on a nail, and it went through the webbing of my toes, and i cauterized it. but, don't do that, because it looks nasty and hurts to walk
Goodhart sugg229 years ago
stepping on a nail should be instant call to get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in awhile.
sugg22 (author)  Goodhart9 years ago
well, i don't believe in going to the hospital or doctor if i'm not on the brink of death. also, it was five years ago, and it was a brand new nail.
Goodhart sugg229 years ago
Well, the thing about lockjaw, once it progresses to the point when you start feeling symptoms, it may be too late to reverse. This is why hunting and eating mushrooms is so very dangerous. Many times one may feel a little ill after eating a poisonous one, but then it gets better. By the time you feel the symptoms again, you organs have begun to fail, and it is probably too late to do anything. Heart attacks (something you shouldn't need to worry about for awhile) are like that too. For minor illnesses and being "sick", I agree. I normally don't go to the doc who will then just say to me, "you know, you're sick. Go home and get some rest." :-)
brand new or rusty doesn't matter, tetanus can live on either, it may be more numerous on the rusty nail.... Yeah if it was 5 years ago, there is no need to worry about it now, I just meant for the future. A deep cut or especially a deep puncture (harder to clean, harder for the blood to flow to self clean) can push tetanus from off your skin into the wound for that matter. They say it is best to get the tetanus shot periodically (maximum of 10 years apart; but 5 years is recommended). Not meaning to alarm you or anything, here are a few things about tetanus: Tetanus is a disease caused by a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. The toxin affects the central nervous system, sometimes resulting in death. Spores of the bacterium Clostridium tetani are found in soil and dust. Tetanus occurs when these spores enter the body through a break in the skin, particularly in the case of puncture wounds caused by nails, splinters, insect bites or gunshots. Bites and scratches from animals such as dogs and cats can also result in tetanus. Once in the body, the spores germinate, releasing active bacteria that multiply and produce neurotoxin. The bacteria stay at the site of inoculation, but the toxin can spread through the body. This toxin causes uncontrollable contraction of muscles, resulting in severe muscle spasms. Uncorrected episodes of hypoxia (lack of oxygen) caused by muscle spasms in the larynx (throat) may lead to irreversible brain damage.
gmoon Goodhart9 years ago
The 'rusty nail' thing is a holdover from agricultural days. It wasn't the rust, rather the general dirty conditions you find on a farm. A rusty nail isn't anymore likely to transmit Tetanus (if it's an 'inside' nail in a suburban environment) than a cut from a pocket knife. But it's possible to contract Tetanus from the knife, of course. Everyone should have up-to-date shots...
Goodhart gmoon8 years ago
Something I just read recently, that many germs and virus' have a shorter life span on "metals" then on other materials (they are more numerous on your hands then on the coins you handle, but just as numerous on the paper money).
sounds something like the parasite in "Alien"(minus the bursting chests)
gmoon Goodhart9 years ago
This is why hunting and eating mushrooms is so very dangerous.

Especially when done at the same time... ;-)
1-10 of 37Next »