heat sensitive wall outlet

Does any one have or had plans for a wall plug outlet or an extension cord from a tool that would turn off if the temperature of the devise reached a preset degree.  i.e. your coffee machine operated normally but it caused the duplex plug to overheat and the circuit would shut down avoiding a possible fire condition. 

sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 19Next »
Toga_Dan9 months ago

A breaker in an outlet could limit current.

Or it could have an IR thermometer which could be aimed by the user at the appliance. This thermometer would interface with a computer which would shut off a relay when your coffee was warm. or maybe after the coffee maker bursts into flames.

or you could spend more on a good coffeemaker.

dano9999 (author)  Toga_Dan9 months ago
A few years ago a friend came home to ee a blackened spot on the sheet rock above a wall plug that had an " always on" television pluigged in. The internal circuit eventually shut down the T.V. but not until it had charred the wall plug and sheet rock. Thats one reason I even discussed the idea. Thanks to all.
Toga_Dan dano99998 months ago

it sounds like a defective outlet. Or corroded plug. Too much resistance in the outlet means that it acts as a fuse. A slow blow fuse. Probably not an issue with the appliance itself.

These problems usually hapen from overloading an outlet with badly corroded or worn out contacts.
Happens even more often when people plug/unplug running devices.
A very common problem down here with powerboards.
Due to greedy landlords houses usually only have a bare minimum in power outlets so people are forced to use a lot of powerboards.
I no longer buy them if they if I can't open them to inspect the contacts once a year or so.
Learned my lesson when my toast smelled like plastic and smoke came up from the powerboard behind the toaster.

Maintenance and care is all that is required to keep power outlets in a good working condition - that includes the mess of cables going into their back ;)

dano9999 (author)  Toga_Dan9 months ago
What you say is accurate but please ........I was only using a coffee maker as an example . I don't drink coffee and don't have a machine. Any electrical appliance that uses resistance to create heat would be a better example. Thank you for your feed back.
Toga_Dan dano99999 months ago

ok. I was getting ridiculous.

I'm inclined to think that putting the safety device in the appliance is best. If you'd like to plug a 1500 watt space heater in, or a 15 watt soldering iron, and have the outlet determine overheating (not excessive current) , well, you've got a serious engineering challenge.

It's also interesting that, as a filament grows hotter, it's resistance goes up. Thus current goes down. So, if the outlet checks current, it may miss an overheating event.

Another option might be to hook a smoke alarm to a wireless transmitter which shuts off outlets if smoke is detected.

Are we talking about heat in the devices heating element or in the circuitry / wiring? If the heating element exceeds a set temperature there will be a built-in thermal cut out on any device that is built to decent minimum standards imposed by the nation's safety regulatory body.

If we are talking about heat in the wiring / circuitry as a result of a fault, every electrical device in the U.K. is fused at the plug as well as fuses that are included in the circuitry, I'd expect this to blow before any major issues arise.

dano9999 (author) 8 months ago
That's good advice about unplugging outlets with the device still on. I also struggle with the duplex receptacle plugs that allow you to push the wire into a gripping socket hole versus bending the wire around the screw and tightening it down. I have heard the sockets are safer and also that you should never use them. I asked an electrician and he said bending the wire around the screw is the only way to go. Problem is many do-it-yourself types are not able to tighten the screw enough for a solid contact. I presume U.L. or N.S.E.C would have tested them. Also I always buy a name brand receptacle rather than the bargain ones as I feel the name brands are better made. I would love to hear any ones thoughts on this.
Yonatan249 months ago

What about a fuse?

The point where it would catch on fire does depend on the temperature of the room,

Toga_Dan9 months ago

many devices like hair dryers have a thermal circuit breaker built in. Dunno about coffee machines. Can I take yours apart to look?

1-10 of 19Next »