"member's" should be "members'" in Grammar Police description

Please edit the Grammar Police profile accordingly. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Ah, irony.

Picture of "member's" should be "members'" in Grammar Police description
sort by: active | newest | oldest
1-10 of 41Next »
kelseymh (author)  Lithium Rain8 years ago
A few days ago, you wrote "PWNED." I looked up the term in Wikipedia, but must confess my ignorance. Are you using the term from "Leetspeak" to mock our dear M. Bumpus, or myself? Yes, I know the question itself only makes my situation worse, but what exactly have I got to lose, other than the respect of my peers?
No. I meant it honestly.
kelseymh (author)  Lithium Rain8 years ago
Okay; thanks! I'm woefully unfamiliar with the jargon and abbreviations that have evolved from BBS's, online gaming, and text-messaging. I can do basic smileys and Usenet acronyms, but that's about it. Now, start discussing penguin diagrams, ISR/FSR, and popping q-qbar pairs out of the vacuum and I'm right at home! :-)
. Can we expect an iBle for the DIY q-qbar popper? I have two Thermos bottles and some room in the spare bedroom.
. Is there an online [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Idiot%27s_Guide_to... Complete Idiot's Guide To ...] for all that?
. All I know about particle physics (is that even the proper term?) is what little I've picked up from Smithsonian and IEEE's Spectrum magazines. Ie, not a lot.
kelseymh (author)  NachoMahma8 years ago
Heh! quark-pair popping happens all by itself, and it's why you can't make isolated quarks -- as the separation between two quarks increases, the energy density in the field binding them together increases (instead of decreasing as it does for EM or gravity). Eventually the energy density exceeds the mass of a quark pair, and you end up with two bound systems (i.e., two hadrons) instead of two separated quarks.

Amazon has a pretty good search result.

"Particle physics" is the common term. Within the field, we prefer "high energy physics" for the stuff I do, with big accelerators and particle beams at the multiple GeV level or higher. "Medium energy physics" refers typically to single-beam (fixed target) experiments with beams at the few GeV level or below. "Nuclear physics" covers studying the collective behaviour of nuclei, rather than the constituent protons and neutrons; where accelerators are used, they are really low energy (few to hundreds of MeV).

Scientific American has had a number of very good articles. If you look up "Particle Accelerators" in Wikipedia, the cross-references will lead you in several good directions. Also, if you read the Economist, their coverage of physics is the best I have ever seen from regular journalistic sources.
No big, as you've said yourself communicating in text can get challenging at times...
. I gave up trying to understand 'leet a long time ago. I can understand a little lolcat-speak, but not much. Interesting Yoda-speak is, but it makes my head hurt to read it. . Damn kids nowadays
Is there any way of handing ownership of the group from Bumpus to kelseymh?

kelseymh (author)  Kiteman8 years ago
Oh, no! A bleedin' Yank shouldn't be appointed to the Queen's English's Household Guard. Surely you're a better candidate for the role of Usurper of Bumpus than I?
1-10 of 41Next »