I have a 32-inch LCD TV that needed a custom stand to mount it at the foot of my bed as I don't have the room for a normal TV stand.
The hardest part for me was locating the M4 machine screws that will fit the standard 100x200 VESA mount of the TV. Every hardware store I checked around me only carried the SAE screw thread patterns.
I lucked out last week and finally found my screws in an IKEA KOSING (200.512.01) drawer pulls for $2. I took a chance on it having the right screws since I didn't carry a caliper with me and the package did not specify the screw size. It came with 24 screws 12 each in 3/4-inch and 1-inch sizes so my pulls still have a complete set of screws after this project.
Other materials needed was two 2x4x8 that I had left over from another project. Always good to have them around. A 6x10-inch piece of half-inch plywood (1 inch of material around the 100x200mm mount which translate to around 4x8 inches). A number of 8x3-inch drywall screws to attach everything together. Six washers - I don't know the exact size but it measures 11/16-inch outside diameter and 1/4-inch inside diameter.
Step 1: The 100x200 VESA Mount From Plywood
Using a speed square I drew a center line 1 inch in from one of the long (must be straight) edge -- I marked this edge and used it to measure all the others lines from here -- Very Important to note this in case your 6x10 piece of plywood is not squared off as mine was not (that's what happen with scrap wood). Then I measured 100 mm and drew the second center line parallel to the first. Draw a center line 1 inch in from the short side with the speed square along the reference edge I marked earlier. Measured 100 mm from there and draw corresponding center line. Measured 100 mm from this line and draw the last center line. Where all these 5 center lines meet are the required holes for the 100x200 mount. Using a caliper and speed square I checked all center lines to make sure they are the right dimensions.
I used a little nail to drive into those six cross lines and remove it to help start my drilling. I used a 5/32-inch drill bit to drill the six holes for the mount. I dry fitted them to the back of the TV with the 1-inch screws to make sure they were correct. I had to widen 1 of the holes and it went on beautifully.