Introduction: $$ Super Cheap Inline Power Pack $$

Picture of $$ Super Cheap Inline Power Pack $$

Hello Everyone!

I was working on a Project, in which I am almost done with, but I needed an Inline Power Pack. I looked around and I couldn't even locate one! The reason why I needed an Inline Power Pack was due to the internal specifications of the project that I was working on. I thought that I would just build one and in turn I came up with a way that everyone could build one and easily and inexpensively make it to have the voltage specifications of your project needs.

Well Guys and Girls, I hope you like this idea and can incorporate it into your project if you have a need for it too!

Step 1: Determine the Battery's Dimensions

Picture of Determine the Battery's Dimensions
  1. Before measuring the battery, be sure to apply electrical tape over the battery ends (+ & -) so you don't damage your battery or cause any unwanted actions to occur.
  2. Measure the length and width of the battery.

Step 2: Step 2: Select a Cylindrical (non-metallic) Tube That You Battery's Fit In.

Picture of Step 2: Select a Cylindrical (non-metallic) Tube That You Battery's Fit In.

I have a section of PVC Pipe left over from a old project which will work out just fine.

The inside dimensions of the PVC Pipe is 1 inch, which will work perfectly!

The C-Battery Length was 1.95 inches, so if I wanted to stack up (3) C-Batteries, we would multiply the length X 3. Which, when we add the batteries in Series would give me 4.5 Volts.

1.95 X 3 = 5.85 inches

Now, we need to add a little bit of room in the end caps for the Battery Terminals, 3 millimeters or 1/8" will do.

Step 3: Step 3: Cap the PVC and Add Terminals

Picture of Step 3: Cap the PVC and Add Terminals

During this step I needed to put a cap on one end of the PVC as well as put a spring in the bottom of it.

  1. I took the spring out of the Broken VCR Remote and bent the base wire outwards.
  2. Next, I took a box cutter and cut a small divot out of the edge of the PVC so the spring terminal could extend outwards.
  3. Then I cut (2) circles out of the VCR Case to make end caps for the PVC pipe.
  4. On the bottom end where the spring was going to be located I glued the spring and end cap into place.
  5. I drilled matching holes in the PVC for the positive end cap so I could easily remove it when I needed to replace the batteries.
  6. For the top end cap I cut a strip of the VCR Metal Sheeting that was located in the top of the VCR for the positive terminal. I bent the sheeting strip over my screw driver to achieve a slight curve.
  7. After scratching the cap and metal strip (to give a better adhesion) I glued it into place.

Step 4: Step 4: Test It!!

Picture of Step 4: Test It!!

Connect it, Test it..... It's Alive!


Toga_Dan (author)2017-01-09

Funny that I got mine published a day after yours. I've procrastinated publishing for ages.

I'm not sure if mine will work well with normal cells. The strips that hold my re purposed cells together kinda act as springs. Maybe if one had your spring at 1 end, and my nail at the other, it would be the best of both worlds. You've gotta cut yers open to replace cells having glued the ends. Mine is a simpler build, and easier to take back apart.

Rexallen made it! (author)Toga_Dan2017-01-09

The negative (bottom end) of mine is glued. The Positive (top end) has 2 small screws holding it together. Maybe I forgot to post that part... I'll go back and check tonight.. Thanks for the comment.

Toga_Dan (author)Rexallen2017-01-09

a bit ambiguous directions re: gluing 1end and screwing the other. also, what glue didja use?

Rexallen (author)Toga_Dan2017-01-09

I went back and looked.

It's located under Step 3:

No. 5. I drilled matching holes in the PVC for the positive end cap so I could easily remove it when I needed to replace the batteries.

The glue that I used was Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel Control

CyberR (author)2017-01-03

Very clever and very simple.

You don't even need a 3D printer!!! That's a bonus.

sorry for the outburst.

ahem... as I was going to say.....

I've been trying to workout how to make a splash proof case for my niMh and Ni-CAD battery packs and still stay compact and portable.

With your idea and some Sealant you've solved my problem.

Thank you.

Rexallen (author)CyberR2017-01-03

That's Terrific!

During my search I found different size PVC Pipe fittings that were threaded too. You could always seal the threads with teflon tape, so you can take it off easily.

I'm happy that I could help you while doing my project!

I'm really starting to enjoy this Instructables website!

Thanks again for the positive comments and good luck!

About This Instructable




Bio: Hello, You can call me Rex. I'm intrigued by electronics and always on the lookout for a cool project to make my Family smile ... More »
More by Rexallen:**Emergency Light Hack without Electric!***Intense Night Sun* $$ Super Cheap Inline Power Pack $$
Add instructable to: