Introduction: 1 Rise Whole Wheat Bread
Grandpa Paul’s Whole Wheat Bread (from scratch)
I always like how fresh bread makes the house smell and how the first loaf gets eaten almost immediately...
So here is a short recipe about making 1 rise whole wheat bread. (I like simple - and this is pretty much that.)
These are the ingredients:
Makes 4 loaves
8 C. Whole Wheat berries ground into flour
4 C. Warm Water 2 TBSP Yeast
1/2 C. Vegetable Oil 1 1/2 TBSP Salt
1/2 C. Sugar
Step 1: Grind the Flour From Whole Wheat Berries
An electric flour mill is the perfect tool for this job! This can get loud and messy, so I grind on my porch.
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients in Large Mixer Bowl
1. Combine dry ingredients in large mixer bowl (approx 6 cups flour, yeast, salt, sugar). Mix thoroughly.
Step 3: Add the Liquid Ingredients
2. Add hot tap water (4 cups) and vegetable oil (1/2 cup) to the dry mixture and mix well in the mixer to get the yeast started.
3. Let this sit for approximately 4 or 5 minutes.
Step 4: Warm Oven and Flour Baking Pans
4. While the yeast is waking up, oil and lightly flour the 4 bread pans.
5. Save some oil back to place on the counter top for dividing the dough later.
6. Pre-heat the oven to the lowest temp you can between 155-170 degrees Farenheit
Step 5: Mix the Dough
7. Add remaining flour to the dough in the mixer with the mixer on low speed setting. You will gauge how much flour to add by "reading" the mixing bowl. You want the sides to clear and the dough to stick together in a "dough-like" consistency. Continue to slowly add the flour until the dough sticks together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
8. Let the mixer knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes to ensure that the gluten gets developed.
Step 6: Remove the Dough and Form Into Loaves
9. Place enough oil on the counter top to have an area you can divide the dough in.
10. Empty the dough from the mixing bowl onto the prepared countertop. Knead a few times to spread the oil over the outer surface of the dough ball.
11. Halve the dough and roll into a ball. Halve each of those balls. Roll out the 4 small balls on the oiled countertop with your hands to make loaf shapes.
12. Place the dough in your floured pans.
Step 7: Place Loaves in Oven and Let Them Rise
13. Place the pans in the warmed oven to rise.
14. Let the loaves rise in the warming oven for 30-35 minutes. The dough should be just over the tops of the bread pans.
Step 8: Bake the Bread
15. When the bread has risen, reset the oven temperature to 350.
16. Bake the loaves for 30-35 minutes letting the loaf tops get slightly browned.
Step 9: Remove From Oven, Cool, and Enjoy!
17. Remove loaves from oven. Gently shake each loaf free from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
18. When the loaves cool safely, enjoy! There are few things in life as satisfying as fresh bread!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.