Introduction: 1 UP Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza
*UPDATE: If you love Mexican food, I also got shrimp tacos and fajita chicken enchiladas on my instructables. Plus a no tomatoes salsa.
Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza is dangerously good. But I bet you didn't know that the meat comes premade in a plastic bag that gets heated in a hot water bath. The oiliness floats up and the dry hardness gets stirred to become what we know as fast food ground beef. Oh, and forget about the beans. They also come in a bag looking like the texture of crusty grape nuts but shaped differently. The beans get dumped into a metal container and hot water is added and after waiting awhile then it becomes the thick paste known as fast food beans.
Well, this is the truth as I know it since Taco Bell was one of the first jobs I ever worked. But honestly, fast food is designed for convenience. Plus Taco Bell was one of my favorite jobs, the people I worked with were awesome. I loved being on the food line, being cashier, and even drive-thru. Rocko!
Anyways, I like the Mexican Pizza and I wanted to make my own version. Now quick grab my hand because it's time to "run for the border" and let's "think outside the bun" because this Mexican Pizza is so full of goodness.
First Prize in the
Mexican Food Contest
Step 1: Making Homemade Crock Beans
3 cups pinto beans
2 tbs sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp your favorite hot sauce (Tapatio for me)
6 cups of water for cooking
1. Wash and soak the beans for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Cook beans with all the seasonings and water in crock pot for 6-8 hours. (Less soaking time= longer crock pot time.)
3. Mash beans.
Step 2: Pizza Sauce Using Homemade Enchilada Sauce
6 Chili Pods
3 cups of water
1 tsp sea salt
1 can of your favorite pizza sauce
1. De-stem and de-seed pods.
2. Add chili pods, water, and sea salt together in sauté pan and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and place in blender to liquidify.
4. Drain liquid into a bowl. Throw away the dried pulp.
5. Mix the enchilada sauce and pizza sauce together at a ratio of 1 to 2, one enchilada spoonful for every 2 pizza sauce spoonful.
Step 3: Ground Beef
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 onion, minced
1-2 lbs of ground beef
1 tbs of seasoning salt
1 tbs of Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp of pepper
1 tsp of olive oil
1. Combine into sauté pan oil, onion, and garlic.
2. After soft, add ground beef and the other seasonings and cook until meat is done.
3. Spoon out excess liquids into small bowl.
4. Spoon 2-3 tbs of liquids into beans to enhance favors.
Step 4: So Close I Can Taste It!
Okay, additional items needed are:
1 package of corn tortillas
oil for frying
.5 lb of shredded cheese ( I used cheddar and pepper jack)
1 diced tomato
Now it's time to assemble this beauty:
1. Fry tortillas, one at a time. I used a deep fryer, you can use a large sauté pan if you like. Remember to flip so both sides to get even frying.
2. Place one tortilla down on plate.
3. Add beans.
4. Add beef.
5. Add another tortilla.
6. Add pizza sauce.
7. Add cheese.
8. Add tomatoes.
9. Slice with a sharp knife into quarters and enjoy!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.