Power up your Christmas and give your tree Extra Life with these super cute Super Mario ornaments you can make in an afternoon! They're fast and inexpensive, so go ahead and build an entire Mushroom Kingdom!
Step 1: Materials
- Two different sizes of styrofoam balls
- Paint (I used red, green and white, but die-hard fans may opt for the original colors: red with orange spots for Super Mushrooms and orange with green spots for 1ups)
- Mod podge - this can be found in craft stores, and is used to fill in the pores of the styrofoam to create a smoother painting surface. Alternatively, spackle could be used, and might be quicker in the end.
- Small gauge wire to make a hook (or pre-formed ornament hook)
- Wire cutters
- X-acto (or similar) knife
- Paint brush and cups for water
Step 2: Shape Your Balls
- Mark both styro balls with cutting lines. Creating cross-mark lines helped me draw a fairly even circle and provided markings for me to help cut away the styrofoam easily.
- Cut each of the pieces flat along the lines
- On the flat side of the larger piece, mark a circle approximately the size of the circumference of the smaller ball so it will fit inside. Don't worry too much about getting an accurate measurement. Start out on the smaller side and you can always carve away more.
- Hollow out the inside of the larger ball, using the circle as a guide. Check to see if the stem piece will fit snugly inside and make adjustments as necessary,
- Holding the flat side of each ball flush with the table, sand away the edges to ensure an even, smooth edge. This takes about 2 seconds. Don't overdo it.