Step 1: Closet Check
Some things to look for:
- Nylon Strap
Check thrift stores for purses and pouches that can be used as saddle bags. See the Step 3 for qualities to look for during bag selection.
You will also need:
- A dog willing to wear a pack
- Very basic sewing skills
Step 2: Harness the Beast
To make the harness that will hold the pack:
Cut three nylon straps with the following lengths:
- Measure the circumference below your dog's neck, add 6".
- Measure the circumference of your dog's waist, add 6".
- Measure the length between the dog's waist and shoulders, add 12".
- Using the lighter, melt the ends of the straps so that they don't fray.
- Sew the pieces together to create a harness (see photo). Use a buckle for the chest strap and Velcro or another buckle for the waist strap.
- The straps don't need to be tight, weight in each side of the pack will hold it on the dog.
- If in doubt, make the straps longer, they can always be shortened later.