Step 2: Harness the Beast
To make the harness that will hold the pack:
Cut three nylon straps with the following lengths:
- Measure the circumference below your dog's neck, add 6".
- Measure the circumference of your dog's waist, add 6".
- Measure the length between the dog's waist and shoulders, add 12".
- Using the lighter, melt the ends of the straps so that they don't fray.
- Sew the pieces together to create a harness (see photo). Use a buckle for the chest strap and Velcro or another buckle for the waist strap.
- The straps don't need to be tight, weight in each side of the pack will hold it on the dog.
- If in doubt, make the straps longer, they can always be shortened later.