Introduction: 10 Minute Pumpkin Applesauce With Protein Waffles
Hey there :) long time, no Instructables for me (please pardon my rusty photography), but I've been having fun catching up with all the cool projects others are up to! This recipe is a recent favorite of mine and I figured it was time to share; it's fast, healthy and satisfying. If protein waffles aren't your thing, pumpkin applesauce is wonderful eaten alone or on top of oatmeal. 'Applesauce' is kind of a misnomer because the apples stay pretty crunchy, if anyone knows a better term please let me know!
Step 1: Gather Ingredients & Tools
Ingredients for pumpkin applesauce:
- 1 cup of pumpkin
- 1 medium to large sweet and crisp apple (I used honeycrisp, but pink lady is my favorite in this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I used freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar (I used turbinado)
- scant pinch of salt
- up to 1/4 cup of water
To complete the meal:
- 2 protein toaster waffles
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- pumpkin seeds and other nuts of your choice (I used pecans)
- more cinnamon for serving
- medium sauce pan
- knife, spoon
- cutting board
- measuring cup, measuring spoons
Step 2: Cut the Apple, Heat With Coconut Oil
Cut the apple into small, but not tiny, chunks if you want to maintain the apple's crispness (recommended).
Add the apple and one teaspoon of coconut oil to a saucepan. Heat on medium for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 3: Add Pumpkin and Spices
After five minutes, reduce the heat to medium-low and add one cup of pumpkin to the apples, stir.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar, and a *tiny* pinch of salt, stir.
Add up to 1/4 cup of water throughout the next five minutes. Stir frequently.
Step 4: Assemble & Serve
Toast the protein waffles until they're pretty crispy, otherwise you'll soon have a mushy mess for a meal.
Top the waffles with the pumpkin applesauce, 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt per waffle, a few pumpkin seeds and/or nuts and garnish with more cinnamon. Eat ASAP!
Step 5: Notes & Nutrition
- Non-waffle serving ideas: oatmeal, plain quinoa, over yogurt, between protein pancakes
- Try other types of Greek yogurt - full fat, vanilla, apple spice, coconut
- The coconut oil is optional, but I think it adds a nice taste and smell and a bit of healthy fat to make the recipe more satisfying. If you skip the coconut oil, use a small amount of water instead.
- You can add more spices to taste, I used closer to a full teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg. You could also add more sugar but I don't recommend adding less if you plan to serve it with plain Greek yogurt.
- If you're using pre-ground nutmeg use a bit less than fresh ground. Pre-ground seems to impart a bitter taste You can substitute unsalted butter for coconut oil, honey or maple syrup for sugar.
- The applesauce makes 2 servings or enough for 4 waffles
Nutrition (as prepared with 2 protein waffles)*
Protein: 22 grams
Fiber: ~ 12 grams
*sorry I don't have more info!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.