This covers building the 10" x 10" Infinity Mirror Kit from Chromation Systems. But the included plans could be used to build one from your own parts and supplies out of acrylic, hardboard or similar. The kit's frame is made from Polystyrene plastic and holds 32 LEDs(8 per side). The kit includes all the frame parts, glue, LEDs, wire, power supply, power supply jack and controller, everything needed to complete it excluding tools and spray paint.
The kit features an 8 Channel LED Controller v.3, which is used to control 8 channels of LEDs, with up to 5 LEDs in parallel per channel.(100 ma per channel) It utilizes a PIC12F1822 and a TPIC6C596 power logic shift register, with each channel current controlled with a single 0.5w resistor, allowing different colors of LEDs to be controlled with various currents. The controller runs at 32 Mhz, each channel is 8-bit(256 levels) PWM controlled at 370 hz. It can interface with TTL serial devices, such as a MAX232 or a USB to TTL Serial Adapter. The software, MonoMotion, can interface with the controller and is used to create, order, and upload patterns to the device for it to run on its own. Or the outputs can be controlled with live serial data from a computer or other serial device. Perfect for small Infinity Mirrors or other creations requiring intelligent LED animations on a small versatile, platform.
The finished Infinity Mirror is 9.5" x 9.5" viewable and 13.5" x 13.5" x 2.25" overall, with 32 LEDs, 8 per side.
All the diagrams used in this are available for download in the ZIP below the video.
Kits are Available for Purchase from The Chromation Systems Store.
Limited Time Coupon for $5 off purchase, use "Infinite40Instruct" during checkout to redeem.
Step 1: Parts and Tools
The 10" x 10" Infinity Mirror Kit, Full Kit comes with all the parts needed to a Infinity Mirror. Just supply the tools listed below. Or use the included parts diagram for creating your own.
Contact Us if you would like a custom kit with only the parts you need or for Custom Infinity Mirrors and Kits.
- 4x front parts, trapezoid shaped, 13.5" x 2"
- 4x Outer walls, prepared, ready for LEDs 13.4" x 2.1"
- 4x Inner walls, 10.1" x 2"
- Rear Mirror. 1/8" regular glass mirror
- Front Mirror, 1/4" glass two-way mirror, brand name in the U.S. is MirrorPane
- Testors Polystyrene Glue, with 2 tips
- 46" of stranded picture wire, 20lb.
- 8" Aluminum Tape
- 8 Channel LED Controller v.3 - Instructable
- 32x diffused 5mm LEDs, choice of colors*, 1, 2, 4, or 8 colors
- USB to TTL Serial Adapter
- 24" 16-strand ribbon cable, split it into two 8 strand ribbons
- 44" Solid Strand Wire, cut into two 22" sections
- Barrel Jack, Panel Mount, 2.1mm x 5.5mm
- 5v @ 2 A PSU, 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug
Or if you are building your own get a 32 pack of Mix-and-Matched Colors of 5mm Diffused LEDs
Tools and Supplies: (Not Included)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Wire Stripper
- Razor Blade
- Diagonal Cutters
- Painters/Masking Tape
- Spray Paint for Plastic, color of your choice, preferably Krylon Fusion
- Isopropyl or other mild solvent, surface prep and cleaning.