This is how I built a little beam engine powered by a solenoid which runs on 12v DC.
Due to the harsh winter I have been stuck in the house most of the time over the last few months, before Christmas I gathered up all the old hard drives, CD ROMS, Floppy drives, a zip drive, 2 printers, a flatbed scanner and a video recorder that where no longer working or no longer any use, after a couple of days of dismantling all this i was left with several boxes of very well made components to be put to use in other projects.
I decided that if i could not venture out into the shed, then the shed must come to me. So I setup a work bench in a corner of my computer room and brought the piller drill and a selection of hand tools in out of the cold.
I bought a decent 6" combination square with scriber for this project, I have a 12" version of this already but the smaller one is much easier to work with on smaller projects.
I visited Banbridge Coach Works a month or so ago and asked if i could buy some of their cuttings of aluminium, I gathered up an armful of various pieces and was asked for £15 which I gladly payed.
Many years ago when I was an engineering student I built a model steam engine as my end of year project which earned me a distinction. Since then I have had a love for all types of steam engines. In more recent years i have become fascinated by sterling engines and more recently solenoid engines and Froment engines.
This is my first real project that has mainly used aluminium, back in the day we used very little aluminium as it was much more expensive than steel and was an absolute bugger to weld. I recently discovered Durafix Easy Weld rods which is a low temp welding rod for aluminium and non ferrous metals.
Design wise this project just sort of happened, it followed no set plan other than I wanted it to have a walking beam as part of the mechanism. because of this there are some stages that I don't have pictures of, there where a few dead ends on some of the stages but then again certain failures led to better ideas.
1" x 1" alu angle
3" x 1" alu angle
6 x 6 mm alu bar
5mm alu plate
3mm alu plate from an old Hard drive
20 x 15mm alu channel
10 x 5 x 5 roller bearings (RC car type)
12v solenoid from an ancient telephone switch board.
various nuts bolts and washers
various components salvaged from old computer and household tech goods.
Almost every thing I have, including the bathroom sink ( which required quite a bit of cleaning afterwords )
Dremil type thing
Blowtorch with propane / butane mix gas
Hand tools, including
Junior Hack saw
numerous small files
numerous needle files
6" combination square
tap wrench and taps.
2 part Epoxy
I had planed to make a governor for this engine and also to try and power it with a solar panel, for now the project is finished, I will continue tinkering with this engine and will post any modifications I make as they happen.
To save much typing there will be a brief description of each stage, the bulk of the info will be on the photos.
Thanks for looking, I hope you liked my design