HAND TOOLS AND POWER TOOLS WILL DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE STUPID OR INATTENTIVE IN USING THEM!
YOU CAN LOSE FINGERS, EYES, ARMS, TOES, FEET!
POWER TOOLS MAKE LOUD HIGH PITCHED NOISES THAT CAN MAKE YOU DEAF!
POWER TOOLS CAN DISCHARGE SMALL PIECE OF WOOD THAT CAN BLIND YOU!
BREATHING SAWDUST CAN GIVE YOU CANCER!
TO STAY IN ONE COMPLETELY INTACT AND FUNCTIONAL PIECE DO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ALL THE TIME:
1. LEAVE ALL POWER TOOL SAFETY GUARDS IN PLACE AT ALL TIMES. LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH THEM IN PLACE. IF YOU MAKE A JIG OR TOOL TO BE USED WITH A POWER TOOL, DESIGN IT WITH A GUARD AND BUILD THE GUARD IN.
2. Pay attention to what you are about to do. With power tools, practice what you are about to do with the power off if there is any doubt about the potential outcome. There is always doubt!
3. A sharp utility knife will take your finger off in an eye blink. THINK about where the blade is aimed. Make sure it is not your finger.
4. DO NOT USE ANY TOOL IN OR OUT OF THE SHOP IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING, USING DRUGS, TAKING ANY KIND OF MEDICATION THAT CAN OR WILL MAKE YOU DROWSY, IF YOU ARE TIRED, IF YOU ARE ANGRY, IF YOU ARE DISTRACTED.
5. NO KIDS OF ANY AGE IN THE SHOP IF YOU ARE USING TOOLS.
6. Wear eye and face protection. A full face protection visor is preferably to safety glasses.
7. Wear cup-style hearing protection ear-muffs. Ear plugs are useless.
8. Hook all power tools to a dust collector. Run a free standing air cleaner at all times. If you don't have them then wear an air purifying half-mask respirator. NOT THE CLOTH DISPOSABLE ONES.
9. KEEPING A SHOP CLEAN IS PART OF THE PROCESS OF WORKING WOOD.
Remember, there is nothing cool about having only 9 fingers.