Introduction: 1960s Camaro Ornament
(The second image is an animation. Give it a few seconds to load in and then click it to play.)
This is my entry for the 3D printed ornament contest. I'm a high school engineering student with a bit of prior experience in 3D modeling.
I wanted to make something American, but I couldn't think of anything to make that was both interesting to make and feasible to do in a few days. After much thought I eventually decided on an American muscle car.
Note: wheels not included.
Step 1: Get a Few Reference Images and Trace Them
At the end of this step, you should end up with that last picture. I would have recorded the process and sped it up to ludicrous speed, but my computer was chewing through something in the background and didn't want to slow it down with recording software.
Step 2: Fill in the Bottom and Add Some Details
Make the wheel wells and close up the bottom for printing. I also added some of the chrome bits and lights and some other details things that shouldn't mess up the print. I forwent the mirrors for the sake of printability. Note that this Camaro is probably not street legal for that reason. It also lacks an engine, transmission, other moving parts, trunk space, transparent glass, working lights, an interior, wheels, axles, cup-holders, radio, physical existence, front/back license plates, inspection stickers, and fuzzy dice.
I've also colored/rendered the car for clarity.
Step 3: Add the Toroid and Finalize
Add the toroid onto the top for hanging.
Merge the objects and apply any modifiers.
Select the main object and export as an STL.
Just make sure to set your unit scale properly, as the STL exporter treats Blender units as mm instead of m. I set mine to 2.5.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.