- 8’ stainless steel camping pot or saucepan. I got one from Ray’s Outdoors in Sydney for about $15, but you should be able to get them from any surplus or camping shop. Make sure it has a lid.
- Steel grille that fits inside the pot. Also from Ray’s Outdoors for about $4.50, but a cake cooler or anything like that will do.
- Some basic hand tools.
Step 1: Legs for the grille
Step 3: Alternate way...
Step 5: Finished smoker
Some smoking tips:
1. Smoking fish is so easy, it's almost impossible to stuff it up.
2. You can buy sawdust for smokers from BBQ and camping shops, but I just save the shavings from woodworking projects. Almost any wood will do, but I avoid pine and eucalypt - I've heard it adds an unpleaseant flavour.
3. Try mixing some brown sugar and Jack Daniels , then rubbing it into the fish before you smoke it. Scotch works just as well.
4. Leave the skin on the fish
5. Drink any leftover Jack or Scotch from step 4.