Step 6: Voltage Regulator & Electrolytics
7805 Voltage Regulator: A standard 7805, without a heatsink, cannot regulate the current that the device draws. If a 5 volt input is available the 7805 position must be jumped and soldered closed. For voltages greater than 5v the 7805 and a good sized heatsink can be used or a DC/DC Step Down Converter.
- Connect the two outside holes with a length of 22ga solid strand wire, make sure it doesn't touch the middle solder pad.
- Solder it on
- Fill in the center hole with solder.
- Install the 7805 as pictured.
- Attach your heatsink with some heatsink paste.
- C2 & C3 are polarized and must be placed in correctly. The line going down the side indicates the negative lead, both the negative leads are facing inwards, towards each other.