Here is a short description on how to make simple and fast silicone mold for small objects. You need only materials available in your closest store or even in your garage.
WARNING: BREATHING SILICONE VAPORS CAN BE DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH !
Step 1: What You Need
- pure silicone not fast drying type (on tube preferably for easy handling)
- oil (for example WD40 which you can find it anywhere)
- rubber gloves (recommended)
- dust mask (recommended)
- small box (optional; to place your model inside for better looking of final mold)
Step 2: Prepare Your Mold
- place object on a piece of plywood/metal plate/piece of window glass
- if you use optional box, place your model inside
- spray WD40 on your model (and on box walls if used)
- pour silicone slowly using circular movement to cover all areas from down to up and avoid formation of air bubbles; cover your model entirely
- another method is to pour silicone in one bucket with water and liquid soap, collect with your hands, make a ball and the apply around model; water prevents silicone on sticking to your hands and dry faster that expected
Step 3: "Patience Is a Virtue"
- wait for silicone to cure about one day (or you can check by finger after few hours)
- after silicone is cured, remove slowly from model
- if necessarily carefully cut on one side the mold, along your model, but make an zig-zag cut not one line
* my final product is not finished; I have to trim edges and maybe to smoother surface somehow...