Introduction: 3 Ways to Find North Without a Compass
This will probably come in handy some day...
Step 1: Using an Analog Watch:
- In the Northern Hemisphere:
- Point the hour hand (the little one) at the sun
- Imagine there is a line down the middle of the angle between the hour hand and the 12 o clock mark
- The line down the middle of the angle is pointing South; so the opposite direction is North
- Point the 12 o clock mark at the sun
- Imagine there is a line down the middle of the angle between the 12 o clock mark and the hour hand
- The line down the middle of the angle is pointing North
Step 2: Using the Shadow Tip Method:
- Take a stick and place it upright so you can see its shadow; the taller the stick the better
- Make sure the shadow is on clear, level ground
- Mark the ground at the edge of the shadow with something small like a pebble
- Wait 10 or 15 minutes then mark the edge of the shadow again
- Make a straight line between the two marks; this is a rough East-West line
- The first mark is the West mark and the second mark is the East mark
Step 3: Using Two Sticks at Night:
- Drive a second, taller stick into the ground behind it so that the tips of the sticks line up with a bright star
- Watch the star for a few minutes; if it seems to move...
- Up you are facing East
- Down you are facing West
- Right you are facing South
- Left you are facing North
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.