It's not the cheapest Instructable as it is based on a 3 axis accelerometer + compass sensor.Stuff you'll need:
* A mouse
- a used one is better (only because it's used and cheaper), any mouse should do. You do need to have some space to house the sensors and some extra wires, so don't go for extra slim / extra tiny mice.
* Compass Module with Tilt Compensation
- This is the 3 axis sensor, bought at SpurkFun
* Logic Level Converter - A MUST!
Since the Arduino is 5V and the 3 axis sensor is 3.3V, you need one of those to convert the 5V into 3.3V. It has a big name, but only cost $1.95 at SpurkFun
* Large Optical Detector / Phototransistor
- This is a simple optical sensor, used in this project to detect when the mouse is being lifted off the work surface. Bought at SpurkFun
for $2.25If you don't have enough space to house this one inside your chosen mouse, you can use this one, smaller and cheaper.
* One (1) LED
- never mind the color, ultra bright will work better.
* 2 Resistors
- One (1) x 100Ω and One (1) x 100KΩ (For the optical sensor)
* Arduino board
- DA! I used the Diecimila
model. A newer Duemilanove
is avalilable at SpurkFun
for about $29.95 (Should work too) + Arduino software
* The project's source code
(Don't worry, you'll get to download it in a sec.)Plus
Some hot glue
(to fix things in place)
A couple of tiny screws.
About 10cm of a 6mm (Dia.) wooden anchor.
Some extra wires
Something to cut the plastic with, I used a cutting knife
and a file
(FOR shaping).("Ok, don't hate me for this step, English is my 2nd language, if I got this one wrong, I'm sorry, I'm sure you'll understand what I'm taking about in a sec. when you'll see it in pictures")