1. Design in a 3D software based on your chosen themed armored boot. I used Maya 2012 student edition, or you could use something like Blender. Create joints based on the movement you would like the plates to have. I used five separate pieces to joint together.
2. Buy post screws, machine screws, and two sets of pull springs from a couple local hardware stores. I used Home Depot and Orchard Hardware Supply.
3. Use 3D model editing software such as Netfabb to size and slice your work into printable pieces.
4. Print using a 3D printer. I use an Afinia H-Series, which is small but can print in ABS for functional rigidity. Then weld the pieces together using acetone mixed with the scraps of plastic.
5. Assemble the boot by screwing holes in the joints and inserting the bolts.
6. Buy some yoga matting, cut it out to fit inside the armor, then duct tape or glue it into the inside of the armor for soft cushioning.
7. Take video and pics, then share with friends and the world! Go run around in it and find out where it breaks, adapt, build again or weld it back. ENJOY! :)