3D printing offers new creativity in the world of model rocket design and fabrication.
Above is a computer model of some printed flying model rocket.
In these instructions I will take you thru steps needed to make really cool flying rockets.
Step 1: What you need
Things that you need.
- A 3D computer design program.
- A source for 3D printing.
- Model rocket simulation software.
Some things to remember.
- Model rockets must be lightweight.
- Model rockets must be stable when they fly.
- Model rockets must be safely returned to earth.
There is a great wealth of information available on the internet about model rocketry. In general commercially available model rocket engines are available at hobby stores and thru the internet. These engines come in a variety of sizes and powers.
In this case I am working with a standard size 18mm x 70mm engine, but don't let that limit you.
If you are new to model rockets, please download:
http://www2.estesrockets.com/pdf/1948MRST.pdf for a teaching document.